Delayd Posting

Submit / Make your "FORUM SPECIFIC" posts here.
*** NOT A FREESCO SUPPORT SECTION ***

Postby leker » Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:54 pm

Hi I got an idea that it might be less interesting for spammers to register
as a new member and send spam posts if there was a delay of say 1 day
before a new member was allowed to make posts.

I have no idea if this can be made automatic or if it will create a lot of work.
Just an idea I got.
leker

Postby Howler » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:03 pm

Right now the only people who are allowed to finish their registration are the ones I let. I manually go through every registration. The only ones that get through are ones with a working email addresses.

The only way that would work (what you suggested), is if every one in the "Members group" (including yourself) have this restriction, I can not go through every account and set them up differently, that would take too much time and work.

The one spammer that you are mentioning this due to, has been suspended and domain is BANNED, so they are being watched and taken care of. I can not and will not hinder the whole forum (or its current members) due to these spammers.
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby leker » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:32 am

Hi again!

First, thank you for your work, it is great to have you there!

A better way to express my idea may be:

"if there was a delay of say 1 day
before the registration process for a new member was finished"

But I see that this is already taken care of as you describe the process.

Again
Thank you for your dedicated work!
leker

Postby Lightning » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:07 pm

"if there was a delay of say 1 day
before the registration process for a new member was finished"

I would also have to disagree with doing something like this. The reason is because most new users sign up because they are having problems that have reached there frustration level and can't get it to work. So an additional delay of even a day would be adding additional frustration to the existing problems.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dRB » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:05 pm

:) Just to take this registration process one step further, it would be worth automating the authentication. I'm sure most have seen the procedure before: register, receive email with link to complete registration, follow thru with authentication, done. All invalid emails will fail the registration.

This would relieve the human intervention.

I'm not sure if the IPV is capable of that process or not.

This is quite probably something Howler is already working towards.
Please bear with me ... I seemed to have lost my marbles.
dRB
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Howler » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:30 pm

Yes, it would take some of the work away, automating it, but at the moment I am doing it because even thought the email address may be good, if it come from buymysexstuff.info I usually do not think it will be agood and do not validate it. Now yes, automation would be good, but if the SPAMMERS know that the accopunt needs to be 'reviewed by an Admin" then they usually do not even come back knowing it may not get authorized.

I did have, and most likey will again have, the automated process, but would like to figure a way out to keep the 'validated spammers' out also.

Howler
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Return to FORUM SPECIFIC Questions or Comments