Upgrading

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby merciful » Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi,

I just made a fresh 0.37 install. This one is replacing the previous 0.35 setup. In a test setup I tried to install 0.37 over a 0.35 setup. This did not work.

So my request for freesco is a upgrade mechanism for easy upgrade without loosing the entire setup.

The mv2hd feature does not work on a ext2 setup. Also if the format of configuration files are changed the old configuration file must be converted to the new format.

Eabe
Love will tear us apart....again, <a href='http://www.controlthemovie.com/' target='_blank'>Ian Curtis</a>,
merciful

Postby strampke » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:08 pm

Hi,

Maybe you missed the new option in the package menu where you can install an ext2 on the fly. Somewhere Lightning asks you wheter you want to preserve your old settings and files or you like to overwrite them.

Strampke
Who knows knows, who doesn't doesn't.
strampke
Junior Advanced Member

Postby merciful » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Do you mean the option in the package menu? I was aware of that option. But this option is not what I mean. Here I have the options: "Clean, Overwrite, Save to backup, Restore from backup, Abort". They are the same as from the "ext2-0.3x-lewis" packages.

What I like to see is an option like: Overwrite + take old setup configuration and apply it to the new setup automatically.

Eabe
Love will tear us apart....again, <a href='http://www.controlthemovie.com/' target='_blank'>Ian Curtis</a>,
merciful

Postby Lightning » Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:23 pm

What I like to see is an option like: Overwrite + take old setup configuration and apply it to the new setup automatically.

As nice as this would be from a user stand point it is most likely not going to happen I am sorry to say. There are two many various changes to keep track of from version to version for me to try and code for each version you could upgrade from, which might not be to bad if it was just for the previous version. But it is usually from a version or two or three back. So I would have to include special code for every version of the 03x series in each new version and I would have to pose special questions for each instance when an option or variable has changed. All in all I decided it was best just to backup the original settings and start from scratch with the primary configuration which in reality should NOT really require very much time and I have made every effort to maker packages compatible and survive the overwrite process.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:43 am

With a print-out or other copy of the report.txt, portfwd lst, etc, Freesco is quickly over written and setup during an upgrade. I think I can do it under @ 5 minutes ;)
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO wish list