Please Install Into Kernel That Patch

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby tigos » Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:29 pm

I use Freesco and SAMBA for keeping BIG database.

I much come short possibility to open much joins with system.

Please instal into the Freesco kernel this patch.

Or do new kernel, such as "kernel-037.cd-686-triton-vipc-power_off"

========
Version 8.04.2 - for linux-2.0.37
This patch (and it's updates are available from
<a href='http://www.linux.org.za/filehandle.patch.linux' target='_blank'>http://www.linux.org.za/filehandle.patch.linux</a>
and <a href='ftp://ftp.is.co.za/linux/local/kernel/filehandle.patch.linux' target='_blank'>ftp://ftp.is.co.za/linux/local/kernel/filehandle.patch.linux</a>
The following patch allows you to increase the maximum number of files/network
sockets openable to any number. The default kernel only allows 256 filehandles
========

Please, please......

------------------------------------------------
Ssorry, but my English is bad.
tigos

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:51 pm

I will add the patch to the kernel source.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:00 pm

I made a kernel with the above patch and I have played with it a bit. The problem is that even with the patch installed it does not change the maximum number of open files allowed. To change that number requires changing the shell envirement the server is running in so that it will allow more open files. By default the ash (sh) shell does not allow this change. So to do it requires adding the "bash" binary to the system. Which bash is included in the mysql package as well as the bash package. So if you have either one installed and can see the bash binary you need to edit the startup script "/pkg/rc/rc_samba" and change the very first line from
Code: Select all
#+!+/+bin/+sh

to
#+!+/+bin/+bash

Then in the start) section add this
start)
   ulimit -n 512

Remove all of the + from this code, which is there due to forum restrictions. This change will increase the number of file descriptors to 512 rather than the default of 256.
You also have to have the patched kernel that you requested. This new kernel will be included in the next version of FREESCO so I have named it for the 038 version of FREESCO
<a href='http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/kernels/kernel-038.cd-686-triton-vipc-power_off' target='_blank'>http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/kernels/kerne...-vipc-power_off</a>

Be VERY aware that NONE of this has really been tested other than to see that the kernel boots. So do these changes at your own risk :o
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:00 am

@Lewis: did you follow the advice to add these two lines to the startup script?
Note that you MIGHT have to put something like:

echo 32768 > /proc/sys/kernel/inode-max
echo 8192 > /proc/sys/kernel/file-max

in your "rc.local" (or other startup script), otherwise we only increase your
per-process limit, and then you have a case where one process uses up
all of your "system wide" filehandles. The above 2 lines increase those.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Lightning » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:11 am

No, I did not add these lines. If you read the entire artical they are NOT needed once the patch is in place because they are the new defaults.
However if you examine the actual patch what you really find is that the true defaults are set MUCH lower than what us stated at 6K for inodes and around 2K for file descriptors. So being inquisitive as I am I examined what a stock 2.4 kernel is set at by default and I found that it uses 16K for inodes and 4k for file descriptors. So because some of this patch has to be installed manually I decided to change the patch with these numbers as the default instead.
The result is exactly what a newer kernel uses by default and it also allows FREESCO 2.0.39 kernel to now be able to mount the newer ext2 file systems with the higher inode density. Which is a very nice side effect of this patch. ;)
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Lightning » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:47 am

One other thing to NOTE is that the 038 kernel has IPSEC enabled by default, the same as I am "planning" on releasing FREESCO v0.3.8 with. So that option will no longer be listed with 038 kernels. It is at least my belief that the previous problems with this oiption have now been resolved in the kernel source. But as always time will tell on that subject.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby tigos » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:15 am

Thank You wery match!

:D
tigos

Postby justdave » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:21 pm

The result is exactly what a newer kernel uses by default and it also allows FREESCO 2.0.39 kernel to now be able to mount the newer ext2 file systems with the higher inode density. Which is a very nice side effect of this patch.

Does this mean we can have ext2 partitions greater than 137gb?
justdave
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:12 pm

Does this mean we can have ext2 partitions greater than 137gb?

No, but it does mean that if you have a newer install on an ext2 partition FREESCO can use the newer ext2 format and makes it so that anyone can use any version of Linux to format an ext2 drive for use in FREESCO.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby justdave » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:24 pm

Will it support files larger than 2gb?
justdave
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:34 pm

Will it support files larger than 2gb?

It seems like it should support files larher than 2GB now. However from memory there is an option when I compiled the FTP server that allows files over 2GB. But it is not enabled due to the statement the option makes the server run slower. But I will look into this a bit further.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby auda » Thu May 17, 2007 3:19 pm

Any problems with this kernel ? I take it that the kernel will support >2GB files but the FTP server wont ?

Auda
auda

Postby justdave » Thu May 17, 2007 4:24 pm

FREESCO will probably never support files >2gb. I have done a lot of research on this and it is an extensive patch requiring a re-compilation of the libc5 and almost all of the utility programs.

Even I have given up hope of getting >2gb files on FREESCO.
justdave
Junior Advanced Member

Postby tigos » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:59 pm

How about to add to there an IPSEC ?
tigos

Postby Lightning » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:50 pm

How about to add to there an IPSEC ?

It is included in all 038 kernels and is in the default kernel included in 038. Of course 038 hasn't been released yet. :(
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO wish list