I Wish My Router

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby ninjamaster » Mon Oct 15, 2007 5:22 am

:huh:
<a href='http://www.pcflank.com/pcflankleaktest.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.pcflank.com/pcflankleaktest.htm</a>
:o
it would be GREAT to see "freesco" "passed" on that list of fire walls on standard installs. i have not installed the "crazy paranoid packages" yet. i just switched over to cable and have problems with the nic(s) not being detected.

i have an isa "ne-2000" that i have never seen work in *any* computer in there.(real neat card, has 10base2 on it, i would love to see it work one day)
i have a random pci nic in there.
i have a fully functional onboard 3c905 in there.
i have a linksys nic in there. i think its detecting the linksys nic on some level but im not completely sure as to how to tell it to read the dhcp on the cable providers side. anyways ill quit bothering everyone, and try to figure it out on my own.
ninjamaster

Postby Thasaidon » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:06 am

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove with this leaktest program,
but it tests security on the client side... not the router/firewall side.

Furthermore... Those commercial firewalls are also "client side" programs, which can filter on programs (executables, etc).
Freesco is a router/firewall in itself and can not control what client programs are up to.

So I don't think Freesco will ever be on that list.
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Doc Nielsen » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:11 am

Freesco doesn't fail, even if they say so - Freesco is designed and programmed to permit any and all traffic from the local area network to the internet, so users can access the internet as easily as possible.
And since this leaktest attempts to open a connection from the local area network (you run the program on your computer) to the internet (the program connects to a server on the internet) through freesco with its default firewall, Freesco is taking no action to this, and does NOT block it.

Freesco will keep anyone outside from establishing connections to the computers on the local area network, unless you manually forward ports, so you are safe from cyber intruders. However, if you are stupid enough to run a piece of software that installs a trojan, virus or worm, freesco is powerless to prevent it.

There are plenty of free programs to protect you in that regards.
I work to better myself, for the sake of all mankind...
Everyone talks about changing the world, but no one talks about changing themselves.
Doc Nielsen

Postby ninjamaster » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:12 am

im not trying to prove anything. im just saying i pass all the tests on that website except for the leak test with freesco.
ninjamaster

Postby dRB » Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:52 pm

:) I think Doc and Thasaidon's points are well taken.

Leaktest Overview

PCFlank's Leaktest is a small utility that tests any firewall's ability to protect against unauthorized or illegal transmissions of data from a user's computer that is connected to the Internet.

The "crazy paranoid packages" you mention ... are overrated. Very simply, if any port is open/closed then you are "visible", and not stealthed. And in my opinion, to setup such is futile. FREESCO does exactly what it is designed to do: keep intruders out.

These personal client-side firewalls, in my opinion, can be over rated as well, and give a false sense of security. I used to install those types of firewalls on my clients' systems. But it proved to be more of a problem than of any value. As a general rule, people just don't understand how to operate the machinery.

If you want TRUE external and internal security, then unplug from the internet. This is the only way to accomplish that goal. Otherwise, it is a risk you accept when you connect to the internet. And with a firewall such as FREESCO between you and the world, your best defense in maintaining tighter security is to be pro-active client-side. Avoid the lures, and stay educated on what NOT to put on your system. Preventive medicine goes a long way.

-dRB
Please bear with me ... I seemed to have lost my marbles.
dRB
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:37 am

I'm not sure what you are trying to prove with this leaktest program,

I'm sorry if this might have looked like i'm "flaming" you, that wasn't my intention at all,
just my bad choice of words...
Sorry about that.
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO wish list