How to implement SLIP ?

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby Onegwr » Tue Aug 13, 2002 3:49 pm

<font color='#000000'>First considder this network setup:
Behind a Freesco-FW there is a network with a client machine and a web/file-server.

Current situation:
When wisitors from the internet surf to my server, they can take all my bandthwith...

What I would like:
Is to connect the FW via a serial line to the fileserver. With the help of SLIP, I would be able to configure the maximum speed to e.g. 115.2kbps(~14k4 speed)
This would garanty me to still to be able to surf when someone is downloading from the server...
And I can still use the server @100Mb locally...

How to set this up?
I probably should start by installing it on two "normal" Linux systems, but experimenting with two freesco's would make it a bit more easy for me ;-)
Who has already some experience with this?
Is this way of networking ok? why not? ...

Thank you !</font>
Onegwr

Postby Dagoob » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:22 pm

<font color='#000000'>I have set up two freesco's which were joined via a null modem serial connection in the past. (Old 386 which didn't have a network card, connected to my actual freesco router)

It was quite easy thanks to some files I found to do with using null modems on freesco. Unfortunatly it was such a long time ago I couldn't begin to remember what I did, where I got those files, or what kind of speed I got. But I do know it's very possible and wasn't too hard.

:)

DG</font>
Dagoob
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Onegwr » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:49 pm

<font color='#000000'>So,
your telling me that with the default Freesco + some config files this is possible?</font>
Onegwr

Postby Dagoob » Tue Aug 13, 2002 4:55 pm

<font color='#000000'>Yup. Some info I've just found is <a href="http://www.compubytes.be/freesco/New_Folder/HOWTOs/null_modem.htm" target="_blank">here</a>, and I believe that was probably what I read before I set mine up.

DG</font>
Dagoob
Junior Advanced Member

Postby phillipsjk256 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:58 pm

I've been considering writing up a serial-line HowTo. I successfully got Window 98, XP, and Debian to work with a ppp link over a serial cable. (I don't know if I ever got knoppix working)

I have not actually inplemented QOS though.

Keep in mind I have been trying to set up a "file and everything else server" at home for about 8 years. So far, all I have is FTP and SSH access. (That is my way of saying I may take a while for me to write it up, even if I do get around to it ;)

Regards,

James Phillips

PS: I couldn't help but notice that new computers don't have RS-232 ports anymore.
phillipsjk256

Return to FREESCO wish list