powerdown thing for AT-compatibles

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby drjyng » Tue Oct 08, 2002 7:49 am

<font color='#000000'>Is a powerdown thing for a AT compatible pc not a really great thing to have. So you can save energy when there is no network (internet) trafic for a while.

for example: when freesco is running a pin of the serial or parralelel port is set high. And freesco could shutdown when there's is no trafic for 10 minutes. When it has shutdown a  the pin is set low so that a electrical circuit powersdown the PC. the same electrical circuit could powerup the PC when there is trafic again (by measuring the network cables or something.

just an idee

dr. JYNG</font>
drjyng

Postby bob selby » Tue Oct 08, 2002 6:56 pm

<font color='#000000'>Some nic's support this - its usually called "Wake On Lan" or WOL.   There are two variants "Magic" packet (which is a fixed format packet) and "Pattern Matching" (microshafts variant).

The latter requires the OS to download a pattern into the adapter - any frames matching it will cause the NIC to drive a bus line high to bring the PC out of standby.  Windows loads several patterns - a common one is for any frame directed at the PC.

Snag is it needs the OS to be WOL capable and the PC to be fairly modern (and of course for the NIC and driver to support it).

Sadly, I've not heard of any Linux drivers that support it very well.   If anyone has then I'd *LOVE* to know about it.</font>
bob selby

Postby Aeternus » Thu Oct 31, 2002 2:32 am

<font color='#000000'>Wake On Lan should be supported by both NIC and BIOS. If you want freesco to do a soft power-off on "shutdown -h now" I suggest you recompile your kernel with "Power Management" included.</font>
Aeternus

Postby JNK » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:14 am

When I saw this a few things occurred to me. 1st if I am reading this right you want an at machine to power down like an ATX machine. I.E. shutoff power. ATs are not designed to do this because of the power supply, i.e. only the switch can turn this on and off.
However you can replace an AT power supply with an ATX. The pinouts and connectors are completely different but the voltages are compatible. But the question is how to turn the ATX PSU off. This might be easy enough to do with a device called a flip flop on a custom ISA card and all you would have to do is create a small program to toggle this on and off. That would solve the turning off now the turning on if its needed is an entirely different thing and would require more thinking. Still Might be possible to do this.
I dont like wasting time but I reckon if I put a little effort into this I could do this. However I would need enough people interested to do this?

Well is anyone interested?

:confused1:
JNK

Postby Boober the Bird » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:29 pm

Some NICs has separate 3pin connector named "WoL", it requires 5VDC in standby mode (e.g. from simple AC/DC adaptor), and seems that it only sets log."1" on the "non-power" pin when the MagicPacket comes. So, it may be useful to (S)et RS-trigger that drives a 5Amp solid state relay hooked up to the series to the AT power switch. To ®eset the trigger (then to shut AT supply down), its possible to use one bit of LPT/COM port, as in a post above; when the system is going to shutdown, the last step of the shutdown process is to set this bit up to "1", then the trigger drops the relay input.
Boober the Bird

Postby phillipsjk256 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:49 am

No, You are wasting your time.

For an electronics project I briefly considered something similar. Complicating things, the teacher specified optical isolation for anything connecting to the wall outlet. (I never figured out the Electromagnetic Wave (Frequency) loophole until later)

In the end, I bought my first ATX power supply, not for a computer, but as an electronically-controlled 12V switched supply.

You have two problems:
1. The AT Power supply uses a "hard" power switch. Yes, you could use a relay. Turning that relay on and off when you want to requires additional circuitry.

2. The AT Power supply has no standby power when "OFF". This means that any Hack to make an AT power supply work like an ATX will require a second (smaller) supply anyway.

JNK proposed the most practical solution: Rewire an ATX supply to run an AT board. Of course, You would have to run that 5V standby signal to the "custom ISA" (PCI should work too?) card, since AT boards have no concept of turning the power on and off. If the "WOL" can be interfaced directly to the 5V, 5-10mA (Active low Power On) standby signal, you may have something that is not too expensive to implement...

One thing I have learned: Don't start inventing things to try to save money. Prototypes just don't have the same economeis of scale. If your device is not an improvement over an already popular good (The ATX supply). nobody will buy it to help offset the development costs.

Regards,

James Phillips

PS: That extra wiring won't fit on a floppy!
phillipsjk256

Return to FREESCO wish list