Wifi support

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby ninjamaster » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:55 am

i think it would be NINJA :ph34r: to get a wireless b/g/N card going in a freesco box. <a href='http://www.aircrack-ng.org/doku.php?id=compatibility_drivers&DokuWiki=b30b972b0284406ecd67a61ab588b2a1' target='_blank'>this page</a> got me interested in the idea, and was already beat to posting about it here. the reason i wanted to post about it here is because i have found pci wireless n cards from this list for under 20 dollars after shipping on ebay. 20 bucks is cheaper than any AP that i know of. i also like this idea

Cable/DSL/dialup ---> Freesco/AP -----> Switch -----> wire mess

i also like the idea of saying to my teky friends "look at my wireless router that only cost 25 bucks total!" i wish i knew linux better than what i do...
ninjamaster

Postby Lightning » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:43 pm

FREESCO is capable of running any wireless card if you run FREESCO in VMware and the base OS supports the card. So if there are Windows drivers you can load a Windows system and use VMware to use FREESCO as the router. Of course the cost is about 50% of the CPU and some memory when running VMware.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby seapirate » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:30 pm

Take a look at dd-wrt, if you get a router on their supported hardware list it gives you the option of using the router in AP only mode, plus it a linux based firmware.
seapirate

Postby yelsewno » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:23 pm

seapirate wrote: Take a look at dd-wrt, if you get a router on their supported hardware list it gives you the option of using the router in AP only mode, plus it a linux based firmware.

You can use pretty much any wireless router as an access point and a switch. Just disable the DHCP server on the router, setup the wlan, then plug in your Freesco box to one of the switch ports. Now you have your Freesco router attached to your switch/access point so Freesco's DHCP will hand out addresses to both the wired and wireless networks.

I've been doing things this way with a Netgear Router for years. Not to mention routers usually cost 50% less than a true Access Point. However some of the newer routers can be a pain to configure unless they see a WAN connection in the first place.

Just my 2 cents..
yelsewno

Postby pollo » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:52 pm

I just bought D-Link router and wireless G PCI adapter for my desktop. My setup is as follows;
Cable Modem ---> Freesco -----> Switch -----> D-link router+ wired clients

As I understand, I have to disable the DHCP from the router and let freesco give out the addresses for both wireless and wired networks. How do I disable the DHCP on the router?

Thanks

pol
pollo

Postby CDFiXER » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:54 am

How do I disable the DHCP on the router?

My crystal ball is a bit murky this AM. What is the model number of the Dlink router? Or better yet, D-link has a support page that has all kinds of manuals on it, might check one of those. On a, (IIRC), D-524 it is under, oddly enough, the DHCP tab on the setup page. Then you select the oddly termed "Yes" or "No" towards the top. ;)

If you mean Freesco's DHCP server then go into Setup, then advanced settings, then servers or DHCP server and there you go, it even describes the settings right above the place you select y/n/r.

Happy Freesco'ing
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby koni » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:11 pm

I would like to disable the wireless router DHCP and only to have Freesco router giving out ip addresses for the clients. I can not figure out how to disable DHCP of wireless router. I am using wireless D-Link router model DIR-615.

Thanks

Pol
koni

Postby Lightning » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Make sure the wireless router is connected to one of it's internal ports to your hub and leave the external port empty. Then in the main configuration (not the wireless) you can disable the DHCP server and all other services as well and that should resolve the problem. You can still leave wep and or mac filtering enabled if you want for security.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby cae2100 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:20 pm

hey koni, I have close to the same setup, and you have to unhook the dlink from the freesco router first and get the dhcp from the dlink,then after disabling the stuff on the dlink, hook back up the freesco system, otherwise when you try to go to the control panel, it goes to the freesco webserver page. My dlink used the same IP address as the freesco one, and that is where the problems came from, I would reccommend before you disable the dhcp server on the dlink, change it to the high 192.168.x.25x range, it keeps it from overriding the ip address for freesco. I just leave the uplink port empty and use the 4 others, it gives you more speed and you dont have any problems with the dlink.

hope this helps

ps. I believe that the dlink's control panel is at 192.168.0.1, thats what Ive found with most dlink routers
cae2100

Postby koni » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:51 pm

cae2100,

My dlink used the same IP address as the freesco one, and that is where the problems came from, I would reccommend before you disable the dhcp server on the dlink, change it to the high 192.168.x.25x range, it keeps it from overriding the ip address for freesco. I just leave the uplink port empty and use the 4 others, it gives you more speed and you dont have any problems with the dlink.

How do you disable and change IP address manually? The D-Link router software does install automatically when the install initiated.

This is my configuration;
Internet-> Cable modem->Freesco router-> Hub-> LAN

After installing the software which came with the wireless router and disable the Freesco DHCP and connecting one of the wireless routers internal ports and left the external port empty. The wireless client can not connect.

Koni
koni

Postby Lightning » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:55 pm

How do you disable and change IP address manually?
Usually wireless routers have a web control panel that you can get to from a browser and inside that control panel you can configure everything manually.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby koni » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:34 pm

Lightning,

Thanks for your reply. I thought that I have to disable DHCP on wireless router, so that the wireless router is just another client within the eth1 network (on my case) which the fresco routers will provides ip addresses through its (freesco) DHCP server. My problem as " cae2100" mentioned that;
My dlink used the same IP address as the freesco one.........and that is where the problems came from, I would reccommend before you disable the dhcp server on the dlink, change it to the high 192.168.x.25x range, it keeps it from overriding the ip address for freesco.
How do I change the D-Link router ip address so that I can go to its web control, otherwise I would just see my web page?

Koni
koni

Postby cae2100 » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:31 am

in the control panel for the dlink, you should see a lan address button, in there you would be able to change the ip address. If you dont see anything like that, you might have to upgrade the firmware in it.
cae2100

Postby Lightning » Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:25 am

This problem is actually much simpler than that. Just change the IP address in FREESCO so that it is different than what the default IP address of the D-Link's default. That way even if you have to reset it at any time there will never be a conflict and it is very easy to do in FREESCO. Use something like 192.168.0.2 or 192.168.1.2 what ever the default subnet is and just add one to it.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby koni » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Hello,

I would like freesco dhcp server to assign the ip addresses to the clients. I would like to disable dhcp on the Wireless router. There are some options I see for assigning ip addresses such as through static ip addresses assignment or dynamic dhcp assignment but I cannot see the way to disable the dhcp on my d-link wireless router..

Kon
koni

PreviousNext

Return to FREESCO wish list