exim_4.20_phbc50

Announcements of packages that are now released.

Postby PHBC50 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:33 am

Hello,
As stated by Lightning there is no place for too long posts in third party package release announcement so I will continue here.

What's needed :
- FREESCO version 03x

I have reworked my exim package to suit the needs of several request on the forum here. It is not anymore based on the /var ramdisk directory, but on /pkg/var. Even the logs have changed of location, they are now under /pkg/var/log/. For previous version users : you can safely install over your existing install as your configure file will be saved in the new directory.So no more problems with filling up the ramdisk, you can send email as large as you want ( actually the size of freespace available on you hard disk ). I have been through the setup process many times but if you encounter difficulties just let me know.

Code: Select all
pkg -i http://afpercu.hopto.org/packages/03x/exim_4.20_phbc50

:)
<a href='http://forums.freesco.org/support/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=10563' target='_blank'>Original thread</a>

Best regards,
phbc50
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. (Arthur C Clarke)
PHBC50
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:53 pm

Just curious,
but did you also "fix" the logging Exim generates in the log every 5 minutes regarding
Sep 26 20:38:54 - exim[14637]: 2004-09-26 20:38:54 Start queue run: pid=14637 -ql
Sep 26 20:38:54 - exim[14637]: 2004-09-26 20:38:54 End queue run: pid=14637 -ql
??

This is very anoying and it fills up my logs with these entries every 5 minutes...
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby dingetje » Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:34 pm

exim is using the syslog facility for this kind of messages. Default exim tags these messages with type 'mail', so you can use /etc/syslog to send these messages to a seperate log file. The default /etc/syslog of FREESCO is rather simple and on my 027 box looks like:

<span style='font-family:Courier'>#
# I'm too lazy to do something with this file.
# Should you need nice logging tune it yourself.
#

auth.*? ? ? ? ? /dev/tty4
auth.*? ? ? ? ? /var/log/login

*.*? ? ? ? ? ?? /dev/tty3
*.*? ? ? ? ? ?? /var/log/log</span>

Now, by adding the next line, and change the default:

mail.*? ? ? ? ? /some/where/mail.log
*.*;mail.none? ? ? ? ? ?  /var/log/log

To make this change permanent, you'll probably have to copy /etc/syslog.conf to /boot/etc for FREESCO 0.3.x and to /mnt/router/etc for FREESCO 0.2.7

Then reboot the box (or send a HUP signal to the syslogd and restart exim) you'll end up with a seperate log file /some/where/mail.log (where /some/where should be an existing directory on your FREESCO!) with only the exim messages in it.

More info about the syslog.conf syntax can f.i. be found <a href='http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/man-cgi?syslog.conf+4' target='_blank'>here</a>
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby PHBC50 » Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:55 pm

Hello,
Thasaidon, yes I have a good news for you, this problem is fixed. Now exim does not make use of syslogd ( sorry Dingetje :( )but all log comes in /pkg/var/log/exim_%log. The counter side to this is that any exim log comes out in that directory...
You will find at least one file called
- exim_mainlog : this one is for regular actions taken by the exim process. (ie what you used to see in the /var/messages file).
And here you will find useful information also if exim runs into trouble :
- exim_rejectlog : when a message couldn't be delivered.
- exim_paniclog : when a mailing process crashes for whatever reason.

Hope this helps,
best regards,
phbc50
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. (Arthur C Clarke)
PHBC50
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:20 am

Thanx both of you.

I'll be upgrading to this newer version soon :D
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby PHBC50 » Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:18 pm

Hello,
I'm not so sure...I think I found a bug that prevents to receive mail. So please if everybody could hold off before installing the package. I'm very sorry :( .I'll keep you posted.

regards
phbc50
PHBC50
Junior Advanced Member

Postby PHBC50 » Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:09 am

Hello,
I have fixed the package. It is now working well... :)

You can upgrade from last exim 4.20 without difficulties, because your config file and your messages will be kept and saved for the new installation. However it doesn't work with upgrade from other versions, sorry :( ...not yet though.

I did a recompile of the hole thing from the last announcement, several recompile is closer to reality...there was a bug concerning the crypteq function that prevented the server to use FREESCO's regular password file for authentication. But now all went well and this features works fine. I have tried with several users, type of messages, the size of attachment can be practically as large as you want since it installs onto hdd and is no more ramdisk based...

There are four very important points not to miss in the config file :
1*
primary_hostname = router
Change this to your dynbamic hostname if you have one.
2*
domainlist local_domains = @ :
Change this to
 domainlist local_domains = router.inet :
+ your dynamic hostname with a ":" colon separated It can be your local ip range (ie 192.168.0.0/16)
3*
domainlist relay_to_domains =
Put here your dynamic hostname and with a ":" colon separated put your local ip range (ie 192.168.0.0/16)
4*
hostlist   relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1
add also your ip range here.

I have also added some nice features for the control panel thanks to rbw ;) .
There is also a logrotate feature possibly activated during the install as a cron job which will make a backup each day. But you can change it easilly to suit your needs. The main log file grows quickly!
To do that you need gzip which is included when you have Dingetje's utils package.

The URL is the same as in my previous post.

To all a good installation, and me have some rest like my cat does spuring all day long ;) .
Best regards,
phbc50.
PHBC50
Junior Advanced Member

Postby LucL » Mon Nov 15, 2004 1:09 pm

Very good work !

A lot of problems are now solved !
I installed it upon my older version and it all worked after rebooting. I had to do a reboot in order to make it work with Fetchmail and NOCC.

I apreciate the Control panel links. I selected the log rotate option but I don't see any result so far!
LucL

Return to 3rd Party Package Release Announcements