freesco 03x backup

Announcements of packages that are now released.

Postby rbw » Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:33 pm

Hi,

I have a modified a backup script to back up files from a version 03x freesco. It is a bit similar to the cdbackup package that Dingetje made for 027, but this package gives you three new "commands":

cdbupkg will just backup your packages so if you are rebuilding your freesco you can avoid downloading them again and reconfiguring them.

cdbuwww will backup the /www directory

cdbuhome will backup the /home directory

I notice that I have written what the package "will" do. I should have written "should"!! This is my first one, so it may not work properly so handle with care!!

At the moment you should be able to get it by typing:

pkg -i <a href='http://whites.homeip.net:8080/cdbupkg-1.0-rbw' target='_blank'>http://whites.homeip.net:8080/cdbupkg-1.0-rbw</a>

Kind Regards, Robert
rbw

Postby MrWho » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:33 am

This is exactly what I need. Does it span the backup over more than one CD if needed? And does it need any extra packages?
<b>"Thank God I'm an atheist!"</b><br>
MrWho

Postby rbw » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:27 am

Hi,

The backup script uses two additional programs to do the backup and restore. One is called fsplit and splits the archive into 630meg chunks. The archive is actually made using cpio. Both these programs are included in the package.

I have just adapted an existing script for use on freesco 03x for doing backups, but the script originally had the capability to do incremental backups and I have not tried doing those. Maybe at some stage I will look into that, but at the moment I have just done enough to backup my system and then be able to restore the files extra files onto a fresh freesco installation.

When it comes to restoring the files you will need to get them onto freesco's hard disk. You may be able to get them using snarf, if you have another machine with an ftp server on the lan. If you want to read the files off a cd-rom that you create then you will need to upgrade the kernel because the standard kernel does not read cds.

So, that would mean the procedure would be to install the kernel package, then read the backup files off the cd. That procedure I have found is faster than snarfing the files, but I am sure it will depend on your system.

I hope that helps.

Regards, Robert
rbw

Return to 3rd Party Package Release Announcements