NEW cdrtools & CD-toys

Announcements of packages that are now released.

Postby tom » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:47 pm

Here it is... Finally

This package enables cd burning support for Freesco 030, 031, 032, and hopefully 034 (when it comes out) but not 0.3.3 or 0.2.7 and earlier.

It also includes "hd2cd" which will create a "Live" bootable Freesco CD from your hard drive install if you have enough disk space. This works with every 03x version (including 0.3.3). When you're running from CD, you can type "cd2hd" to move it back to the hard drive.

Even though nobody else knew that I was creating this package, I would like to thank Lightning, Dingetje, Gnork and Deoren for their help with various parts of this project.

Here's what it does:

The kernel and ramdisk are replaced with versions that support cd/cd-burning. The old ones are renamed to /boot/kernel.tom and /boot/ramdisk.tom. If you remove the package, the originals are replaced.

version 0.3.4 should not require the ramdisk to be replaced but since it's not even released yet, I can't test it.

CD-Burning will not work with version 0.3.3 but you should still be able to create and boot/run from the CD created from "hd2cd".

Sorry, 0.2.x is not supported at all.

Please be carefull with this package!!! Even though I've spent alot of time on this, I haven't tested it with every possible configuration and since it replaces your kernel and ramdisk, it could be a VERY dangeruos package to install.

This is a beta release so PLEASE let me know about anything that needs to be changed (in the support section please).

Code: Select all
pkg -i ftp://toms.homelinux.org/packages/03x/cdrtools_2.00.3_tom

Enjoy,

Tom
tom
Junior Advanced Member

Postby tom » Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:55 pm

I've made a few changes to this package...

It was brought to my attention (thanks Thasaidon) that the user needs to be asked if they want to replace their kernel and ramdisk instead of just doing it by default.

For example, if you're running 0.3.3 and already have a custom kernel installed (let's say kernel-033.pptp-ipsec-vipc-cd), this kernel already has cd support and since the kernel included in the package doesn't have pptp support, you wouldn't want to replace the kernel.

I've modified the install script so that it now asks you if you want to replace your kernel and ramdisk instead of just doing it. I also modified the uninstall script to ask you if you want to remove the modified kernel and ramdisk (if they were replaced to begin with).

Tom
tom
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:43 pm

Now this looks like a very great pacckage to me :D
Now if only I wasn't running 0.3.3 :P

I do have however a few questions...

When creating a cd, I take it it just creates a cd from the partition (hda1) Freesco is running on?
Or does it use /mnt/bootdev as source ?
(which in my case also include hda2 and hda3)

What is/would be/could be the advanage of replacing the ramdrive ?

and finally...
CD-Burning will not work with version 0.3.3 but you should still be able to create and boot/run from the CD created from "hd2cd".

I take it there is an option to "create" the cd file on the HD which then can be transfered to a system that can burn it ?
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby tom » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:10 pm

When creating a cd, I take it it just creates a cd from the partition (hda1) Freesco is running on?
Or does it use /mnt/bootdev as source ?
(which in my case also include hda2 and hda3)

It uses /mnt/bootdev as the source

What is/would be/could be the advanage of replacing the ramdrive ?

On all versions of Freesco before 0.3.4, the command that mounts the boot device in the rc file inside the ramdisk includes "-t umsdos" and will fail if you're booting from cdrom which uses iso9660.

I take it there is an option to "create" the cd file on the HD which then can be transfered to a system that can burn it ?

the iso image is placed at the root of your ftp folder but that can be changed by editing the hd2cd file in /pkg/bin

Tom
tom
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:23 pm

Thanx Tom ! :D
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby auda » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:22 pm

So with this package I can burn a copy of my HD to a cd and then run freesco from the cd with out a HD at all ? Wonderful !
How about a multi config boot option ? You could have a menu of say 26 options A -> Z with the default boot as A.Then as you burn different images you specify what letter they will be called, possable ?
Auda
auda

Postby tom » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:10 pm

auda,

I've never done this but I think that it might be possible (and a nice feature).

Just so we can keep the forums organized, if you start a new thread in the third party package support section, I'll help you try to do this.

EDIT *** After some thought, I'm not sure how to go about doing this. The rc file inside the ramdisk links /mnt/bootdev/router to /boot

If router was a variable ($ROUTER), it could be declared in the router.bat file or in this case, the isolinux.cfg file then it would be possible by making different directories like router1 router2...

but either way, this section should be closed for discussions like this (but we can discuss it further in the third party package support section though)

Tom
tom
Junior Advanced Member

Postby jamtat » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:04 am

I don't quite get this. You say it's not for 0.3.3, but then sme of the posts here seem to talk about using this package on 0.3.3. So, what's the deal? Can it be used for 0.3.3 or not? I just did an 0.3.3 install and am thinking of trying to run it from CD. I just have the stock kernel. There is no burner in my Freesco machine, and I plan to transfer the iso to another machine on my network that has one. Can I use the package or not?

Thanks, James
jamtat

Postby tom » Fri Apr 01, 2005 7:12 pm

You say it's not for 0.3.3, but then sme of the posts here seem to talk about using this package on 0.3.3. So, what's the deal?

As I stated at the top of this thread...

It also includes "hd2cd" which will create a "Live" bootable Freesco CD from your hard drive install if you have enough disk space. This works with every 03x version (including 0.3.3). When you're running from CD, you can type "cd2hd" to move it back to the hard drive.

AND

During the install, it should detect that you're running 0.3.3 and ask you if you want to replace your kernel with one that supports cd burning. Choose yes to this even if you don't plan on burning cd's on FREESCO (unless you already have a kernel installed with cdrom support).

After you install the package, type "rc_cdrtools start" then you can type "hd2cd" to make the actual ISO image (which can then be found at /home/ftp/Freesco.iso).

Let me know if you need more help (but do it in the support section next time) ;)

Tom
tom
Junior Advanced Member

Postby rbw » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:24 am

Hi Tom,

This package looks very attractive but I have installed a kernel that supports vpn. Can you please provide some details on the capabilities of the kernel used in this package?

Regards, Robert
rbw

Postby tom » Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:04 pm

The kernel included with this package doesn't have support for vpn. You can install this package and use "hd2cd" with your kernel (as long as it has cdrom support) but you won't be able to burn cd's though.

PS. Please post in the support section next time ;)

Tom
tom
Junior Advanced Member

Return to 3rd Party Package Release Announcements