webmin for FREESCO

Announcements of packages that are now released.

Postby Howler » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:41 am

Hello,

I have a VERY VERY ALPHA/BETA packge of webmin created (well created a while long while ago).

The webmin interface and a couple modules work, the rest I did not use or did not have the info about it, so didn ot mess with them. I think (repeat think) it will update via its own internal working (when requested) but have not tried it. Will work on more as reports are given.

This is very much a "use at your own risk" package, as I have not used it in a long time and have not done anything or even played with it in a long time.

The package link can be found on FREESCOsoft.

I expect a lot of support questions on it, but am not sure how much I can answer or fix. Most of the information about using or modifying webmin can be found on the webmin website itself.

Again this is a beta or an alpha or whatever you want ot call it, so be warned.

Howler
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby mulanee » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:23 pm

I tried it (Yesss I'm a beta tester) , and found that start and stop are not in the good place , according to rc_webmin.

In /mnt/bootdev/router/pkg/rc/rc_webmin , I've changed start and stop descriptions as

/mnt/bootdev/router/pkg/etc/webmin/start
/mnt/bootdev/router/pkg/etc/webmin/stop
Mulanee
mulanee

Postby Howler » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:29 pm

mulanee wrote: I tried it (Yesss I'm a beta tester) , and found that start and stop are not in the good place , according to rc_webmin.

In /mnt/bootdev/router/pkg/rc/rc_webmin , I've changed start and stop descriptions as

/mnt/bootdev/router/pkg/etc/webmin/start
/mnt/bootdev/router/pkg/etc/webmin/stop

Already been fixed for the next release.

Support in the support section please, but thanks for the comment.

About a beta tester, well any poor soul who tries it is a beta tester for this one. ;)

Howler
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:18 pm

About a beta tester, well any poor soul who tries it is a beta tester for this one.

Hehe, well that is almost true for most packages.
But this statement is not really intinded as a reply to this thread. But a general statement that needs to be added for ALL packagers to see. It is a MISTAKE to ever use the absolute directory location of a file or directory and it will come back to bite you if you do. So if you happen to put a file or a directory into /pkg/etc then what happens is when the package is installed it will symlink into the /etc directory and it will always be in that directory no matter how the router is configured and the absolute PATH may not be correct. You also have some other directories that end up moved, such as /pkg/bin and /pkg/sbin which end up actually being exactly those directories, but they are also linked as /usr/bin and /usr/sbin

So I say again, do NOT use absolute PATH's in packages. Always use the shortest PATH, usually starting with /pkg
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Release Announcements