Courier_4.1.1_phbc50 Beta

Announcements of packages that are now released.

Postby PHBC50 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:00 am

Hello,
This is a package of <a href='http://www.courier-mta.org/imap/' target='_blank'>courier imap</a>.

An imap server is similar to a pop server and is intended to retrieve mails from a mail server like exim. However the imap protocol allows for more flexibility.

This package has been compiled on zipslack and from my testing is working great, so I am releasing it as beta.

There is also a pop3 server in this package, so it can be a complete mail server if you use it in combination with the exim package.

Just check /etc/courier.conf for available options.

Requirements:
- FREESCO 0.3.x
- a mail package like exim 4.50

The exact performances of the server is a part of the beta testing, because I only have tested it on a rather recent PC. With up to several thousand of emails in a mailboxes the performances are very good, but I have not tested that possibility on older PCs. I think it should be ok though.

To install, you can use :
Code: Select all
pkg -i http://freesco.zapto.org/packages/03x/beta/courier_4.1.1_phbc50

PHBC50

PS : with an imap server they are great webmails applications and the possibility are infinite, check them out or you can expect some of them as packages soon too!
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. (Arthur C Clarke)
PHBC50
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Zedde » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:19 pm

Long time no see

WB

I'll test it when I come home and after i get my system be abit more stable
"From now until the end of the world,
we and it shall be remembered.
We few, we Band of Brothers.
For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother."
Zedde
Junior Advanced Member

Postby amee » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:57 pm

great job. tested with squirrelmail and it's working fine out of the package.
Thanks, Happy Canada day !
Freesco is like oxygen.
amee

Postby PHBC50 » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:28 pm

Hello,
I made an update to the package to correct some errors :

- Automatic creation of mailboxes during install is added by default.
This package uses a link called 'Maildir' in a user's home directory to the mailbox used by exim, and a script will attempt to create the link so you don't need worry about settings to make the two packages work together.

- The Control Panel scripts were fixed.

You can install with the url above.

regards,
PHBC50
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible. (Arthur C Clarke)
PHBC50
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Ragai » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:22 pm

amee wrote:great job. tested with squirrelmail and it's working fine out of the package.
Thanks, Happy Canada day !

Hello,

Is squirrelmail available as Freesco package or it was installed on another system?

Thanks
Ragai

Postby Burma » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Hello,
I'd like to install courier on my Freesco server, but the phbc50 server seems offline for the moment, and this link :
http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/packages/0.3.x/courier_4.1.1_phbc50
doesn't seems uptodate because the date of the file is :
Jul 1  2007   1431366  courier_4.1.1_phbc50.tgz
and the last message of phbc50 (where he said he has made some updates) was posted on Jul 26 2007, 01:28 AM.
So if somebody has got the last version of this packages it will be nice to post the link there.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my bad english.
Burma

Postby LucL » Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:32 am

I also tried to get that package for testing from <a href='http://freesco.zapto.org/packages/03x/beta/courier_4.1.1_phbc50' target='_blank'>http://freesco.zapto.org/packages/03x/beta...er_4.1.1_phbc50</a> but this URL does not seem to be there anymore.

Thanks for the lewis' link. I notice there seems to be updated lately (at least the courier_4.1.1_phbc50 file) :

Mar 9  2008 3802  courier_4.1.1_phbc50
Jul 1  2007 1431366  courier_4.1.1_phbc50.tgz
LucL

Postby Burma » Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:51 am

Thank's for your answer LucL, but I have installed the package from the Lewis server and i've noticed that the last chages from PHBC50
- Automatic creation of mailboxes during install is added by default.
This package uses a link called 'Maildir' in a user's home directory to the mailbox used by exim, and a script will attempt to create the link so you don't need worry about settings to make the two packages work together.

- The Control Panel scripts were fixed.
are not presents. So I think it's not the latest version, and I believe that the update made by Lewis is for compaibility with Freesco 038
Burma

Postby Lightning » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:49 am

The version on my server was last modified on June 23 2007 and I have made no changes to the scripting other than to make the install script compliant with the new packaging server code to hold the date it was made. Which has no effect on the package it's self. So I would say that it does not include the latest changes.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dRB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:29 pm

I believe this link has the changes you speak of, including Lightning's changes to installer script

<a href='http://www.rbtd.com/packages/courier_4.1.1_phbc50' target='_blank'>http://www.rbtd.com/packages/courier_4.1.1_phbc50</a>

and if you want the MAILDIRLINKS.cgi file to link mail dirs without restarting courier
<a href='http://www.rbtd.com/xtra/LINKMAILDIRS.zip' target='_blank'>http://www.rbtd.com/xtra/LINKMAILDIRS.zip</a>
(extract, upload to /pkg/addons/Courier, chmod 755)
Please bear with me ... I seemed to have lost my marbles.
dRB
Junior Advanced Member

Postby LucL » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:48 pm

Hi there !

I tried to use it on a fresh freesco 038 install and it does not work. I notice upon service start that perl was missing !

The only packages that were installed :
ext2-0.3.8-lewis
exim_4.50_phbc50
courier_4.1.1_phbc50

When using it with thunderbird, I cannot read mail using IMAP !

Is anyone using it ? Any special setup or config ? Kernel to avoid ?

I planned on using apache so I installed the kernel-038.cd-686-triton-vipc-power_off kernel.
LucL

Postby dRB » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:55 pm

I have it running and my users have no complaints..

I have apache, perl, exim 4.5 running as well.

FREESCO setup option 443 needs to be set to "y"

my users, including myself, use courier's pop3 and imap protocol, with no problems with thunderbird client

in courier.conf, you need to make sure the configs are set correctly:
IMAPD=y
POP3D=y
SYNC=y
BLOCKIMAP=n
BLOCKPOP=n

make sure port 143 isnt blocked elsewhere (?)

once your config is correct, restart courier, then rc_masq restart

for webmail support, the squirrel download extracts and works well, with little modification

as an aside note:
I have scripted a front-end for my user base, which gives them access to user specific blocklists, whitelists, password changing, and the use of a file share system for emailing large files without having to actually send those files thru the email server. And have partially completed this scripting to co-function within exim, so that any large attachments thru any client will be handled via the file share rather than thru the mail server. (what a huge difference on the mail server load let me tell you)

exim config has been buttoned up rather tight in the interest of combatting spam, and I must say, works incredibly well. I plan on packaging and releasing this suite in the near future (but for now I'm just starting to climb back in the saddle after a lengthy downtime)

/dRB
Please bear with me ... I seemed to have lost my marbles.
dRB
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:00 pm

Just a quick question.
I'm running Exim with Teapop at the moment. By installing Courier, I take it Teapop isn't needed anymore? or can they coinside?
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:51 am

I also noticed this version mentioned here is a 0.3.x package.
However, on freescosoft.com, the same courier_4.1.1_phbc50 package is listed as a 0.4.x package.
I take it the package works on both versions?
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:43 pm

I take it the package works on both versions?
Absolutely NOT. I repackaged the 03x version for the 04x series. They are the same base binaries, but completely different packages.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Release Announcements