Sound card support

Announcements of packages that are now released.

Sound card support

Postby Lightning » Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:05 am

This package has basic sound card support. A number of different command line players and a recorder. Netaudio, which will transmit or recieve live compressed or uncompressed 8 bit audio through TCP/IP. It also comes with a voice synthesizer. Which can be enabled to speak your DHCP leases, external IP address, dialup connection speed, and secure logins. There is also almost a limitless amount of other things that it can be used for with a simple script included for use and modification for a truly unique voices on any machine as well as many other voices that can be downloaded and installed. It should be known that a number of supported sound cards will not function with the sythesizer. Specific ones that I have tested and can say will not work are proaudio spectrum 16 and Sound Blaster 16 PnP. These cards are supported and do run, but fail to have a programmable dsp chip. Currently the only card that has been tested and is known to work with all of the programs is a regular Sound Blaster 16 sound card. So with any of the other cards and drivers you are taking your chances as they have not been tested in any way.

You should not install this package on any mission critical system.

This package opens up lots of other possibilities using other aplications that need sound card support. But for the most part should really be considered a toy and treated as such. A very fun toy though. This package is HUGE, so unless you have at least 110mb of disk space it is not going to fit. Installed it is around 65mb and compressed it is around 45mb. So it takes the combined ammount to install. It also can take a long time to uncompress, so do not think your machine is locked up if it just sits there for a long time during the install. I would say that the minimum requirements are a 486-66 with 32mb of ram. Using that system will result in around an 8 second time lag to speak what is typed in. Faster machines will yield much better results as a 200mhz machine will run around a 2 second delay in text to speech times.

---- Sound card support for

Sound Blaster, SBpro, AWE 32/64, SB16 or compatible.
Pro Audio Spectrum 16.
Crystal Sound 4232 chip set.
Gravis Ultra sound.
Gravis Ultra sound Max.
OAK OTI-601, MAD16, Opti 82c928 or 82c929.
Microsoft sound system.
Orchid SW32, Cardinal DSP16.
Ensoniq Soundscape.
Audio Trix.

-- Supported languages

-en British
-us American
-ar Arabic
-sp Spanish
-nl Dutch
-fr French

-- Included binaries

Netaudio - Live TCP/IP transmission of 8 bit audio.
tplay - sound file player
trec - sound recorder
bplay - sound file player
rawplay - sound file player
mbrola - Multi lingual PHO file to sound file translator.
mbrdico - Multi lingual text to PHO file translator.

To say text that is typed or you want to have the voice synthisizerspeak in British. Just use

say -en "any text that you want to say within quotes"

It is sometimes neccesary to type things as they sound rather than how they are spelled. Such as to say FREESCO correctly, it must be typed FREE SCO or FREASCO and in some cases use a "z" rather than an "s". This way they are pronounced correctly. But some playing will determine that.

If you need a router that functions very well, then this package is not for you. But if you want something to tweak and play with for days and days as well as impress your friends with your talking router. Then by all means load it and start tinkering.

To install this package make sure your default download location is set to a FREESCOsite as close as possible and use
Code: Select all
pkg -i -/sound-1.9-lightning

I should also mention that I have this package running on my 200 mhz Ppro with 128mb of ram and it performs ver well. However even on this machine when I was just playing with the speech and I would enter a line of text that had special characters or just to many characters and basicly cause the speech program to not say the sentence. It eventually would cause memory usage problems. Now that I have stopped playing to see the full extent of it's capabilities and now have a set of dynamic scripts to use, this problem no longer exist. This package has been tested for install and uninstall as well as function with Sound Blaster 16 sound cards. But should be considered very beta, especially with other sound cards. If you install this package and have success with another sound card or also have failure with another sound card. It would be good to post a very short reply stating whether it works or not, so everyone can know.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Marc » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:00 am

Wauw,

Thanks Lightning. Since my early MSX computer days I have been tinkering with txt to speach and finally my freesco box can do it.
I got a creative labs sound blaster 64 AWE PnP running with the sb16 driver.

The trick to get the PnP soundblasters running is setting its IRQ, adress and high/low DMA. The cards have to be configured and flashed with a DOS utility that can be downloaded from the creative website. As the drivers are compiled to irq 5 set the card to IRQ 5.
The diagnostics software freely available from the creative website allso tells you if there is a dsp chip and what version it is.

The DOS diagnostics tool should give some sound from the speakers now. Next boot to freesco and goto setup ISA PnP (22). Press Y (2*) and there should appear a long list. Uncomment 3 lines setting IRQ 5 and dma 0 and 1.

Set the driver in rc_sound stop setup and it should work.

Thanks again for this fun package.
Marc
Marc
pc1mh.nl.eu.org
Marc

Postby Smitro » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:31 am

I'd love it if you could create a version of this package for 0.2.7 :colgate:
Smitro

Postby steve_v » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:43 am

Am I right in thinking that this package requires a sysv ipc enabled kernel (for bplay)??

Cheers,

Steve.
steve_v

Postby Lightning » Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:31 am

Am I right in thinking that this package requires a sysv ipc enabled kernel (for bplay)??
Hmmm, good question and I wish I had a good answer. But from memory I have always tested this package on systems that did have the VIPC enabled kernel. However that is not to say it is required, although changing to that kernel is not going to harm any system regardless.

BE VERY AWARE that this package was designed for FREESCO v0.3.2 and it will install and run fine on later versions, but do NOT enable the extra parts of the package because they are not compatible. Which means the speaking new IPs and DHCP leases should NOT be enabled. So if those are things that you do want you should just use what is in the package as a guide and then modify the running components to do it. This has been a package that has needed an update to remove the customized scripts for some time and it has just not been done yet.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby jason.b.c » Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:51 pm

Does this thing still work in the newest freesco version's...??
jason.b.c

Postby Lightning » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:32 pm

The extra scripting to speak dhcp leases and such no longer work. But the voice synthesizer and the sound card support all still works.
I do recommend getting it from my site however to get the last version.
<a href='http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/packages/0.3.x/' target='_blank'>http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/packages/0.3.x/</a>
Be sure you have a pretty good connection and plenty of disk space, because this is I think the largest FREESCO package at around 45MB.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby jason.b.c » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:07 pm

Alrighty , So let me get this straight , This package makes the freesco system talk or something when something unusual or special happens while you're online..?

But the voice synthesizer and the sound card support

If not , What does it do.? I've tried to figure it out on mine own but now i'm more curious than ever..

What else could you ( well 'I' ) make it do..?

How about this , Is there an anti-virus package for freesco.? Could the sound package be configured to tell me if a virus tried to get through..? Or if the firewall was breached..

Maybe by using some AT&T true-sounds..
;)
jason.b.c

Postby Lightning » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:17 pm

Because it is a voice synthesizer it can say anything at any time you want it to say something. The only trick is to figure out how to trigger it. So depending on the event depends on what is required to do it. Sometimes there are specific files excetuted at events and some times it may require some type of monitoing aplication. Regardless this is just the package release section of the forum and not intended for support. As for the usefulness of this package, it was designed to be very fun to play with and it has an endless stream of practical uses if you take the time to do it. The additions can also be addon packages to this package as well so that others can use them.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Ramik » Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:59 pm

Any chance to add support to this old Sound Card ?
PCI Sound Galaxy Nova 16 Extra II-3D - using AZT-2316/R Chipset - FCC-ID:I38-MMSN846.

This might be a possible module, but it seems to be designated for 2.6 kernel:
<a href='http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/sound/isa/azt2320.c' target='_blank'>http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/sound/isa/azt2320.c</a>
IF it will compile, I suppose I'll have to contact the creator to see just what he means by:
Code: Select all
 21     This driver should provide support for most Aztech AZT2320 based cards.
 22     Several AZT2316 chips are also supported/tested, but autoprobe doesn't
 23     work: all module option have to be set.

The "all module option have to be set." seems troublesome for me ;-)

Sound support for that machine will mean I'll no longer need Win98 to play my mp3s :-) , dual-booting ms soft-b-a-ware really bites :-(

* <a href='http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/sound/isa/' target='_blank'>http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/lxr/source/sound/isa/</a> all kinds of good old sound-hw that just might be of use to some folks here...

Successful or not, time will say... for now, Thanks for trying !!!
Ramik

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:45 pm

There is actually possibly about a 10% chance that one of the existing drivers will run this card already. There is documentation that suggests several different frivers depending on which suplier there were buying there chips from at the time. The biggest problem is that the drivers are built for ISA sound cards with a known IO and IRQ.
So my suggestion for the moment is to install (from memory) the PCI utils package and find out exactly what the card is setup at and then manually add the IO's and IRQ into the existing sound card drivers one at a time and see what happens. For further assistance please post in third party package support.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby vvgross » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi, all...
I'm do not find working audiostream servers links to test netaudio.
and i'm don't find support for netaudio.
Please help me...

and sorry, my hard english...
vvgross

Re: Sound card support

Postby Marc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:38 pm

I kept this on an old hard disk. Enjoy.

Marc <:mphaan@gmail.com:>

Network Audio Front-End

by Ken Hollis <khollis@bitgate.com>

Network Audio's main purpose is to send audio data back and forth between

systems using an IP connection. Network Audio allows you to send,

receive, or re-broadcast data, depending on whatever you like. This

program was designed to make the sending of Networked audio through any

compression program with ONE program, not a multitude of programs.

This program was tested with a program called "Toast", which automatically

compresses data in GSM format on the fly. It is *highly* recommended that

you download this program and use it; not only is it free, but it's great.

Download it from http://kbs.cs.tu-berlin.de/~jutta/toast.html.

This program has been extensively tested so that you can be assured that

it works. We have tested both broadcast mode, peer-to-peer

(send/receive), and web (yes, you did read that right) interface.

Before we get started, I'll tell you how to start the compilation process.

This can be done by typing (AS ROOT):

make ; make install

Now that this is out of the way, here's some experiments you can try.

Note that connections are done via port 31337. You can override this by

using "address:port".

Since netaudio includes "toast", a GSM-compression on-the-fly program

(which compresses network audio), you can use netaudio in conjunction with

toast to send a live audio feed through your 28.8K or higher speed modem.

-- SLOW CONNECTION EXAMPLES --

A simple broadcast between machines would consist of (in this order):

(receiver):

netaudio --receive | tcat > /dev/audio

(sender):

toast < /dev/audio | netaudio --send receiver-ip

DO NOT USE BROADCASTING ON A SINGLE 28.8K LINK. YOU WILL REGRET IT.

To connect to another system that is rebroadcasting a live audio feed:

(receiver):

netaudio --receive broadcaster's-ip-address:port | tcat > /dev/audio

-- Fast link connections (for ISDN or T1 users) --

A simple broadcast between machines would consist of (in this order):

(receiver):

netaudio --receive > /dev/audio

(sender):

netaudio --send receiver-ip < /dev/audio

A simple broadcast from an 8K/sec UNCOMPRESSED audio feed would consist of:

(receiver and rebroadcaster):

netaudio --receive --attach ip-address:31337 | tcat | \

netaudio --broadcast ip-address:31338

(sender):

(Keep in mind, you cannot use rebroadcast without allocating an aliased IP

address, or using another port address. In order for other users to

receive your networked audio, they would connect to your ip-address at

port 31338.)

A simple rebroadcast to a web connection (via HTTP interface):

(receiver and rebroadcaster):

netaudio --receive receiver-ip | tcat | \

netaudio --broadcast receiver-ip:31338 --http "audio/x-gsm"

(sender):

And a simple rebroadcast from your own system:

(rebroadcaster):

toast < /dev/audio | netaudio --broadcast

An easy way to do web sound transmissions (which connects to an already

re-broadcasting system), you use:

(cgi):

netaudio -r host.site.here -h "audio/x-gsm"

This will begin a steady audio stream to the other site, and will

automatically quit the program after a disconnection is done.
Marc
pc1mh.nl.eu.org
Marc

Return to 3rd Party Package Release Announcements