portforwarding always delayed on PPtP

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

portforwarding always delayed on PPtP

Postby Ewaipanoma » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:38 pm

Hello

I've had a working 0.3.4 sytem on a internet cable-connection which was fine.
Because of a hardware breakdown, I had to reïnstall the software, so I upgraded to 0.3.8. (because 0.4.2 control panel not 100%, see other topics of me)
Now this system works perfect on a ADSL connection, but with this setup when requested an IP through DHCP from the provider it ALWAYS gives
at enable port forwarding :delayed.
It is possible to ping websites from the router, so there is a connection, but website won't be resolved on the clients.
There definetly is a connection from the client to the router as it is possible to open the control panel.
In attachment I'll send a report of the system on CABLE internet, PPtP.

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ewaipanoma

Re: portforwarding always delayed on PPtP

Postby Lightning » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:19 pm

----- cat /etc/portfw.cfg | sed s/\#.*//g -----

According to your report you do not have any ports forwarded on this router. So add at least one port to the configuration and it may resolve the delayed issue.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Ewaipanoma » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:44 am

Hello

As long as I'm using FREESCO, I've never used portforwarding...as this has always worked for me without any configuration.
Why should that be changed? It worked with 0.3.4
Also, concerning security issues, I'm not aware of the do's and don'ts with a FREESCO box.
I do know that with private lines some ports are blocked by the ISP.
Is there a guide or template portforwarding setup?
Thanks

Regards
Ewaipanoma

Postby Ewaipanoma » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:33 pm

Hello?

Any possible reaction please?

Thanks
Ewaipanoma

Postby Lightning » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:28 pm

Why should that be changed? It worked with 0.3.4
You shouldn't.
The problem here is a simple miss understanding of what the port forwarding option is used for in FREESCO and the changes in the system from 034 to 038.
Port forwarding is needed if you run a web server or any type of server on your internal LAN and you want to have direct access to it from the Internet. You also need port forwarding if you run a torrent client like bittorrent or utorrent on an internal machine and there are quite a few other aplications that need a port forwarded for special functions as well. Past those reasons for normal router types of functions there is no real reason to enable port forwarding.
In 034 the system booted and always displayed "Enabling port forwarding Done". But in 038 there is a main configuration option to enable or disable port forwarding in the setup and it also checks to make sure that if you are using a PPP type of connection like dialup, DSL, or PPPoe that if the connection is not completely established or it fails for some reason it will display "Failed/Delayed" if port forwarding is enabled. In your case it will fail for certain because you don't have any ports forwarded and/or it might also be delayed if the PPP connection is not completely established. So in your situation just disable port forwarding and the visual problem, which is all that you have will go away.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x