forward outgoing traffic to another internal IP

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

forward outgoing traffic to another internal IP

Postby syscon456 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:45 pm

Is it possible to forward outgoing traffic to another internal computer IP for processing?
For example, freesco is a box A,
I run squid + iptables on box B, and have other machine on the netowrk boxes X,Y,Z
Is it possible to forward traffic coming from boxes X,Y,Z to box "B" for processing outgoing traffic?
(I know freesco has a squid package but I already have a box setup with squid running.)

There is "Ban/Allow IP" but does not mention forwarding
Port Forwarding - I think is only for traffic coming on external "eth0" to internal "eth1"

Is outgoing "http" traffic in port 80 or different port?
I'm using freesco-0.3.8

#Joseph
syscon456

Re: forward outgoing traffic to another internal IP

Postby Lightning » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Well this is somewhat dependent on whether you want to force all traffic through the other squid machine or if you just want this to be an option.
If you want to force internal machines to use the other squid machine then the first thing to do is to ban all of your internal subnet. Probably something like
Code: Select all
bl,192.168.1.0/24

You then allow traffic only from your internal squid machine with something like
Code: Select all
al,192.168.1.10

At this point no internal machines will be able to use the internet except the squid machine. However the downside to this is that everything will have to go through the squid machine and so it MUST be configured as a router along with squid. Otherwise mail,ftp, and any other traffic will just be stopped. You then will need to configure your other internal machines to use the local proxy server.

Of course all of this gets a LOT simpler when squid is running on FREESCO.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x