Old Brain New Body (move a drive)??

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

Old Brain New Body (move a drive)??

Postby Jimi_l » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:32 pm

Hi All,

A while back I did a HD install on an old Dell. With a LOT of help from Lightning and his Login-1.1 package I have been using it for a WiFi hotspot 24x7 365 for over a year. Now however either the motherboards PCI slot is dead or the low profile 2 port NIC is and both are no longer available.

So here is my problem. I have this highly customized system running on a brain that I need a new body for. What are the odds of moving the drive to a newer old Intel based full size chassis and actually having it boot? With Windows I know I can pull it off with a "dirty install" but can I with Linux?

Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Jim
Jimi_l

Re: Old Brain New Body (move a drive)??

Postby Lightning » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:35 pm

Yes easily, the ONLY thing that is ever an issue and that is network card drivers. If you are using the same network cards then no issues at all. Otherwise all you need to do is to install the correct network card drivers for what ever network cards you have in the new system and it will be running just as it always has before. Of course if the cards are supported by the default system then you are in luck without any changes.
Make sure that LBA mode is enabled in the BIOS because sometimes if the drive geometry is different it won't boot.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Jimi_l » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:07 am

So assuming I get two NIC's off the supported list and an older IDE/PCI type mobo it should just install and go pretty much or will I have to do some sort of re-install.

Also, has anyone ever successfully cloned a hard drive w/o having to mess with it after? I read about a lot of attempts but could not find a total success. I had been thinking about doing this before the machine crapped out actually as a backup.

Thanks!
Jimi_l

Postby Lightning » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:17 pm

The actual type of PC makes absolutely no difference as long as it is a x86 based system. I was only referencing the network cards because that is something that is common to change. However if you are going to use newer types of cards or want to, I would recommend using the a Netgear GA311 Gigabit card for your internal network or a couple of Intel eepro100's or even some 3Com 3c905's as the best choices. They also make these cards in muli port options as well with slightly different ID numbers but they all use the same drivers.

As for cloning the drive there should never be any issue cloning the drive other than on an ext2 install and that only requires running the "repair-lilo" option on the new drive. DOS drives should work without any issues unless as the latest user who had problem was caused from an old drive that had a special boot loader installed on it previously.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x