Vmware

Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums, including Author's chit chat forum and soon others.

Postby pete108 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:32 pm

someone had posted a vmware image for a freesco environment to building packages. i don't see it in the archive anywhere. does anyone remember where it was?

pete
pete108

Postby Slowpoke » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:07 pm

I made my own multi-boot PC with DOS/Win/ZipSlack+X/Freesco all-in-one & later ghosted the image to a VM, but you can do this from scratch just with VM - just create a VM with whatever size drive you want, and follow the directions for <a href='http://dingetje.homeip.net/dokuwiki/freesco/howtos/setting_up_an_development_environment' target='_blank'>Setting Up a Development Environment</a> on Dingetje's docuwiki.

Start with DOS/Windows, then add Freesco (add the lance.gz NIC driver to the \drv folder on the floppy (actually, you don't even need a floppy: you can mount the Freesco floppy image directly!) so Freesco can see the VM NIC), then add ZipSlack (edit the /etc/rc.d/rc.modules file & uncomment the line for the lance driver (near line 255) before/after/when you run 'netconfig' so when you reboot, ZS will see the NIC). I'm still ironing out the XF86Config to get video larger than 320x200, but X is optional (and a bit over the top if it's going to be a VM).

Do you have VM Workstation or Server (or are you using the free Player)? If you only have the Player, I can create the blank VM files for you - just let me know.

-Slowpoke
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Postby pete108 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:40 am

actually since i was googling 2 days ago and came across <a href='http://www.easyvmx.com/' target='_blank'>http://www.easyvmx.com/</a> and created my own. i was thinking of posting a howto on how i did it on my notebook computer without a floppy. i just finished compiling a kernel from the freesco kernel sources.

works great!

pete108
pete108

Postby Ramik » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:52 am

You maybe referring to my earlier attempt at a vmware dev machine with zipslack and freesco on a single vmware image, unfortunately the server crash took away the post.

I currently am not running freesco since i previously only used freesco as a print server ,for some samba stuff and just playing around, but recently i replaced my printer with an Ethernet connection, and my free time has been dedicated to other stuff...

I'll probably release another version whenever FREESCO 0.3.7 will come out, but currently, If you would like, I can repost the previous one...

Any interest ?
Ramik

Postby hclmoreira » Thu May 10, 2007 5:05 pm

I've manage to run VMware in Freesco, in a quite straight forward way.

Maybe this article is of our community interest:
<a href='http://faztek.blogspot.com/2006/11/freesco-running-at-vmware-player.html' target='_blank'>faztek.blogspot.com/2006/11/freesco-running-at-vmware-player.html</a>
hclmoreira

Postby dingetje » Fri May 11, 2007 2:10 am

I've manage to run VMware in Freesco, in a quite straight forward way.

Surely you mean:

I've managed to run Freesco in VMware, ...

:lol:
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Doc Nielsen » Fri May 11, 2007 8:26 am

yeah i had a custom made zipslack for vmware, however you'd be better off making your own install.

create a DOS vmware with a bootable dos disk.
unzip the files from the zipslack archive to the vmware disk.
edit the zipslack launcher batch file to load the right kernel
run the zipslack launcher batch file (or save it as autoexec.bat and reboot the vm)

after vmware boots zipslack, copy the freesco kernel from the floppy to the zipslack installation, and download lightning's latest kernel source code to zipslack.
reboot again, this time with a freesco kernel running the zipslack.

keeping with the official order of things, all sources go into /usr/src ;)

any questions?
B)
I work to better myself, for the sake of all mankind...
Everyone talks about changing the world, but no one talks about changing themselves.
Doc Nielsen

Postby spaceuser » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:36 am

hclmoreira wrote:I've manage to run VMware in Freesco, in a quite straight forward way.

Maybe this article is of our community interest:
<a href='http://faztek.blogspot.com/2006/11/freesco-running-at-vmware-player.html' target='_blank'>faztek.blogspot.com/2006/11/freesco-running-at-vmware-player.html</a>

This seems to be a link to a non finished article about running Freesco under VMWARE. Maybe someone knowing of any other site? I tried to email the writer but the blogger site needs a gmail mail account which always failed for me to get.
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Running Freesco for years. Now running Freesco 0.37 floppy router (for ADSL 24/1Mbit)</span>
spaceuser

Postby hclmoreira » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:25 am

I had to change a couple of things to make it work, including ramdisk.
I can share the file-system amongst Freesco community, but I need to change the default passwords, and obviously the dyndns.cfg and dial-up configurations.

There are two IDEs (main partition hda1, also hdc1 filled with zeroes.)

Code: Select all
[Linux] find /lib/modules/ | grep nfs
/lib/modules/2.0.39-2/fs/nfs.o
[Linux] lsmod
Module          Pages           Used by
nfs               12            5
pcnet32            2            1
ip_masq_netmeeting 2            0
ip_masq_ftp        1            0
ip_masq_irc        1            0
ip_masq_vdolive    1            0
ip_masq_raudio     1            0
ip_masq_icq        1            0
ip_masq_cuseeme    1            0
8390               2            0

Two Kernels installed: the stock and a Kernel compiled by me. '.config' is available.
This latter Kernel supports nfs.
hclmoreira

Return to Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums