Question For Lightning

Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums, including Author's chit chat forum and soon others.

Postby cae2100 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:07 am

hey, I was looking through the kernels page you have, and I found a file named freesco-2.0.39.tar.gz. I saw that there were different kernels for different platforms, and I was wondering what it would take to run freesco on another type of system, not just x86 platforms. (try to install it on a mac :P)

just a question and I hope I can recompile a kernel so I can play with it a little.

Thanks a lot and keep up the good work
cae2100

Postby Lightning » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:06 pm

There is a patch available for some kernel sources to run on a MAC system. However the small amount that I played with it was unsuccessful. Also there are quite a number of various patches to the system that ONLY apply to the x86 sections of the kernel, so even if it would compile it would still not really be a FREESCO kernel and whether it would work or not in FREESCO would be in question. However I will add that I only worked on this for s short period of time a number of years ago and I don't own a MAC system.
The second problem would be all of the other binaries in FREESCO, so this would be something that someone would have to want REALLY bad and also has endless hours to do it.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby cae2100 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:51 pm

I have nothing but free time and I would actually like to try to mess with it a bit, I have a few versions of linux that runs on the mac and they are really really old, so I should be able to find one with the 2.0 kernel. It could be a good challenge but Im up for a good challenge. :D I was wondering about this because I have 5 old macs just laying around here and wanted to try to do something with them. I was wondering what you would need compile those kernels I found in that file because Im thinking I can probably copy the configuration files from freesco and try to get something working.

thanks alot and keep up the good work
cae2100

Postby Lightning » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:32 pm

Just be aware that the 2.0.39 kernel in FREESCO is not even close to any other 2.0.x Linux kernel due to the major modifications that have been made to the source. So you will be MUCH better off comparing the sources and trying to make the FREESCO source compile on the MAC.
Of course most of the patches are shown and included in the source, although most of them have been manually added line by line and sometimes changed a bit to get along with the other patches.

Also be aware that there are still one or two binaries in FREESCO that I do not have the source code for and I have no clue where they came from originally. Although those could be replaced with other newer sources with a cost of the newer binary being a bit bigger and the rest of the source code or patch code is included in the main download zip file.

The one thing out of this that is guaranteed is that you will definately learn how FREESCO really works, which few people really know.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby cae2100 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:02 pm

its worth a try, Ill try to report back to see if I get anywhere with this
cae2100

Return to Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums