Zipslack 3.9 + Freesco Source = Out Of Space?

Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums, including Author's chit chat forum and soon others.

Postby CDFiXER » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:15 pm

Finally got around to getting Zipslack 3.9 setup (Thanks Thas and Dingetje). When I untar the included Freesco 2.0.40 kernel source, it fills my hard drive space! Nearly 300+ MB! Running from a 1GB drive with @ 400 MB for Win98, rest Zipslack.

Err, that can't be right can it?
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:21 pm

No that is probably not right. The kernel source uncompressed is probably around 30MB. So there could be one of several things happening. One is that you created multiple sections on your hard drive and the /usr/src/ directory is not as big as you think it is. You can find out by using the "df" command. The second is that somehow the tar.gz is corrupting the system. Also up until about five minutes ago the new 04x series kernel source was not available. Which I just uploaded it and you can get it from the bottom of the page at <a href='http://freesco.sourceforge.net/' target='_blank'>http://freesco.sourceforge.net/</a>

I usually use "mc" and just hit enter on the file and then copy it to the other side window inside mc when dealing with tar archives. The new kernel source includes the entire directory structure, so it should be installed at the / "root" of the directory structure so it ends up as /usr/src/linux/
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Hmm. I had to use mc to make the file writeable before I expanded it. I stuck it in the /usr/src so maybe that was part of the issue :blink:

Anyway, I am going to download the 040 source and try that one.

As always, Thanks Lightning!
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Return to Packaging/Compiling/Client Information Forums