Using Putty and Midnight Commander

If you need some help, this should be the first place to look.

Postby Kevin Linx » Tue Jan 01, 2002 11:40 pm

You can use Putty and Midnight Commander
    (on your Windows Box)
to edit files on your Freesco Box.<p>1) open Putty to your Freesco box
2) Login then type MC
3) cd to the desired directory
4) type edit filename - edit the file
5) when done press F10
6) save and exit
Kevin Linx

Postby Lightning » Wed Jan 02, 2002 4:27 am

<font color='#000000'>When using mc though putty it is best to start it with the -a flag for ascII characters. Like<p>mc -a<p>It will look a lot nicer</font>

<!--EDIT|Howler|1028655728-->
Lightning

Postby barbarosso » Thu Jan 03, 2002 4:29 am

I've never seen any documentation on mc, although i've used it a bit.  Can anyone point me to some docs.  It's amazing what you finds if you RTFM.<p>Cheers,  Rick
barbarosso

Postby Kevin Linx » Thu Jan 03, 2002 5:07 am

yup,
go to /mnt/router/packages/mc/FAQ
then hit F4 to open FAQ, and F10 to close it.
Once you get used to Midnight Commander
you'll start finding things that you can do.
I copy most of the Freesco Packages Documentation
I find into my mnt/router/www/man/packagename folder
so I can read it with my Web Browser or Print it.
Kevin Linx

Postby barbarosso » Thu Jan 03, 2002 8:26 am

I think we are at cross purposes here. ?I run a floppy Freesco and in /mnt/router I have two files and no ./packages. ?If you mean the HD version, I have a problem which I haven't solved yet, the floppy recognises my NIC a Realtek 8139, but the HD doesn't.<p>It is one of those things I was going to get round to. ?Man mc, btw, is written in outer Mongolian or something similar. ?Man commands are designed for people who already know the command.<p>Cheers, ? Rick
barbarosso

Postby Lightning » Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:59 pm

<font color='#000000'>Unfortunatly man pages are compressed with a special format and have extra man page commands built into them so for the most part they are only readable with the man command in a full Linux distro. What Kevin is talking about is that there isn't any setup to get mc running and it has a pretty good help file system built in. Try F1 to start with

(Edited by Lightning on Dec. 22, 2001)</font>

<!--EDIT|Howler|1028655808-->
Lightning

Postby compbrain » Sun Jan 13, 2002 9:59 pm

Just a hint off of the topic but I hope I can prevent others from making the same mistake I did. If you edit files with your windows box through samba, you will need to use fromdos (Free from freescosoft) and then chmod them to the right access permisions. I learned the hard way that all perl and cgi scripts wont work if you unzip on your pc and copy with samba, you need to use fromdos and chmod. So remeber, if you copied or edited on your pc, use fromdos and chmod.
<a href='http://compbrain.net/' target='_blank'>Http://compbrain.net/</a><br>Webmaster and network admin extrodinair
compbrain

Return to FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions