HD Freesco install

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

HD Freesco install

Postby mondo » Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:43 pm

Hello,
I have been running my freesco on floppy drive and now I would like to install it on the HD. what is the easy way to transfer my floppy drive flopy to the HD.

thanks

mondo
mondo

Re: HD Freesco install

Postby Lightning » Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:40 am

The easiest way is to just run the setup and go into the package menu. Then install the official ext2 package and move the system to a ext2 hard drive. The package is capable of fdisk and formatting the hard drive into a ext2 partition and then move the system to it as well.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:19 pm

GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby mondo » Sat Dec 18, 2010 2:04 pm

[
Hello,
quote] 0. Uninstall package
1. List installed packages
2. List available packages
3. Installed packages documentation
4. Install a package
5. Setup installed packages
6. Enable - Disable packages
7. Enable - Disable package firewall rules
8. Enable - Disable control panel addons
9. Default package install URL
10. Default patch/ext2 install URL
11. Default package save directory
12. Check/install patches from http://www.freesco.org/
13. Install the official ext2 package from http://www.freesco.org/
[/quote]

I have 0.3.8 version of Freesco and I am in setup and when I try to install ext2 package from http://www.freesco.org/
it does not work for me. Let me know what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

mondo
mondo

Postby Lightning » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:08 pm

it does not work for me. Let me know what I am doing wrong?
To start with you are in the 0.4.x series support for FREESCO. But beyond that "it does not work" is really not enough information to even speculate as to the issue. Please re-post this in the 0.3.x support section and include all of the details along with a attached report.txt
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby rmeden » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 am

I'm using FREESCO 4.3 under VMware and would like to move from a virtual floppy to a virtual HD to make it easier to make some changes and edit files.

The 3.8 instructions and the "official" ext2 install went perfectly, until I went to boot. I get the "LI" of LILO and then nothing.

Any idea how to proceed? Has anyone migrated 4.3 to a HD?

Robert
rmeden

Postby Lightning » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:09 pm

Any idea how to proceed? Has anyone migrated 4.3 to a HD?
I am assuming that everything went ok during the fdisk and format of the drive partition. It may also be helpful to know what and how many partitons you created and including that you made the primary partition 'bootable' which is a separate flag that MUST be checked while cfdisk'ing the drive and then formatting it.
Which from a guessing standpoint that would be the most likely step that you missed.
Regardless what I recommend is to use the floppy and boot it again and then re-install the ext2 package from within the package menu of the setup. Go through all of the steps again and make certain the main partition has bootable flag set, it is configured ext2 and that you 'write' the information to the drive.

This has been done many many times and there should not be any issue with what you are trying to do.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby tikbalang » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:02 pm

mv2hd is not recommended anymore? i just manually installed to HD and booted using grub4dos and it seems to work. i didn't go past configuring yet.

i moved the files at the root of the floppy into /router. i then copied that "/router" folder onto a fat32 partition

i already have grub4dos installed and here is my menu.lst for freeesco v0.4.3:

Code: Select all

# timeout 8

title     _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/
root
title    _/       _/     _/ _/       _/       _/       _/       _/    _/ Router
root
title   _/_/_/   _/_/_/_/  _/_/_/   _/_/_/   _/_/_/_/ _/       _/    _/  v0.4.3
root
title  _/       _/  _/    _/       _/             _/ _/       _/    _/   LiNUX
root
title _/       _/   _/   _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/ _/_/_/_/    Power!
root

title
root

title                  setup   - start in setup  mode                .~.
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /router/router.lst
kernel /router/kernel DLANG=english BOOTDEV=usb panic=20 root=/dev/ram0 BOOTMOD=setup
initrd /router/ramdisk

title                  debug   - start in debug  mode                /V\\
kernel /router/kernel DLANG=english BOOTDEV=usb panic=20 root=/dev/ram0 BOOTMOD=debug ramdisk_size=16384
initrd /router/ramdisk

title                  move2hd - install on FAT hdd                 // \\\\
kernel /router/kernel DLANG=english BOOTDEV=usb panic=20 root=/dev/ram0 BOOTMOD=move2hd
initrd /router/ramdisk

title                  restore - restore backup on FAT hdd         /(___)\\
kernel /router/kernel DLANG=english BOOTDEV=usb panic=20 root=/dev/ram0 BOOTMOD=restore
initrd /router/ramdisk

title                  shell   - nothing, but a shell               ^   ^
kernel /router/kernel DLANG=english BOOTDEV=usb panic=20 root=/dev/ram0 BOOTMOD=shell
initrd /router/ramdisk

title                  <ENTER> or wait 8 secs - normal mode
kernel /router/kernel DLANG=english BOOTDEV=usb panic=20 root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=16384
initrd /router/ramdisk

i merely translated syslinux.cfg into grub4dos syntax. this may be a solution for usb install as well, with the help of plop bootmanager. plop can boot cd/dvd, usb devices on BIOSes that can't, as well as read-only usb driver for dos.

what i'm not done with is the rebuild of "router.bat". there are some variables that i don't understand from mv2hd.

btw, loadlin.exe has been updated as of 25-Aug-2010:

http://youpibouh.thefreecat.org/loadlin/
tikbalang

Postby Lightning » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:46 pm

mv2hd is not recommended anymore?
Yes and no, the ext2 package is what is REALLY recommended and even in your case when using grub for a DOS file system, an ext2 file system would be MUCH better due to defragmentation and error correction that is included in ext2 in addition to better throughput.
You also stated this was a VMware system, so I am really confused as to why you would go to the trouble of making the file system DOS with a grub boot loader. In VMware regardless of how the hard drive is configured DOS ext2 ext3 NTFS it can be made into anything you want if you fdisk/cfdisk it and make it bootable.

As for newer versions of loadlin, there have been newer versions of it for a LONG time and they still don't seem to make it any smaller. :wink:
Which the same holds true for the version of lilo that is in FREESCO and if they made a version of grub that wasn't quite so huge I would have used it years ago because of the advantages over lilo.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby rmeden » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Lightning wrote:This has been done many many times and there should not be any issue with what you are trying to do.

I figured it has been, that's why I'm so confused... maybe cause I'm running FREESCO in a VM? But I'm sure that's probably been done too.

I'll attach a captured putty session.... still stops at LI (no LO)

Robert
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rmeden

Postby Lightning » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:36 pm

still stops at LI (no LO)
Because it is a VMware system is why the problem eluded me. I assumed this was a new VMware system that never had anything on the hard drive portion of it. The problem is that you had grub installed on the disk before you ever installed lilo or at a minimum some other type of boot loader on that drive other than just plain DOS or nothing. Which on standard disks this problem is not uncommon and easily fixed. What you need is the standard fdisk that comes with DOS. It comes on a standard win 98 boot disk and run this command

fdisk /mbr

This will fix the booting problem with lilo, although you will still need to either reinstall the hard drive or use the repair option in the ext2 package after you fix the mbr (Master Boot Record) on the disk.

The problem comes from special boot loaders when installed relocate the actual boot sector of the disk and when lilo is then installed it writes it's self to the proper location byte for byte but because of the re directed sector it gets half finished and is then directed away. That is why it shows "LI" and then goes into never never land with the re-direct.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby rmeden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:02 am

Thanks lightning, that was it!

I created a new HD and then it worked the w/o a problem.

I was surprised the HD install uses the same /mnt/bootdev/router setup like the floppy. How do you change files since they get overwritten (probably from a compressed tar somewhere)

Robert
rmeden

Postby tikbalang » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:00 am

@rmeden

i'm glad the problem is now solved. i was going to recommend a different bootloader.

@lightning

you got us mixed up. i'm not on vmware. i need fat32 because i install freesco, along with other portable distros, on sdcards/usbdisks that need to be interoperable on other OS and devices.

linld.com can be upx'ed down to 3kb, maybe smaller with apack.com.
http://busybox.net/~vda/linld/
tikbalang

Postby Lightning » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:01 pm

you got us mixed up.
You are exactly write. :roll:

Thanks for the tip about linld.com, I will give it a try and see how it works. If it works ok then I will include it in the next release. I downloaded and upx'ed it and it is almost 6k smaller than loadlin.exe. So it will be a worth while endeavor to use it.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Lightning » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:48 pm

Well it was a REALLY good idea, however linld.com states that the kernel is to old and refuses to load it. :cry:
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Next

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x