Static DHCP leases ...

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Static DHCP leases ...

Postby bob selby » Sun May 15, 2011 7:38 am

OK, This may seem like a bit of a newbie question after all these years but with me sometimes the penny takes a long time to drop ;-)

Am I correct in saying that if I define a static DHCP address via the webpage (with an IP address outside the DHCP address range) then if the device with that MAC addess requests an IP address it gets the "static" value instead of something from the pool???

This certainly *seems* to be the behaviour :-) If so this is cool because it means we dont have to faf around trying to figure out how to change a device to a fixed IP address.

The Vodafone SureSignal I have needs a static IP address for port forwarding to work - the DHCP pool is large enough for a device to nearly always get the same IP address, but to be sure I'd rather have a static address.

If the device *IS* configured to use a fixed IP address and doesnt use DHCP to request one (like my wireless AP) then all is still OK because the name and IP address is still resolved because of the link between DHCP and DNS.

DUH :-)
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Re: Static DHCP leases ...

Postby Lightning » Sun May 15, 2011 8:51 am

Am I correct in saying that if I define a static DHCP address via the webpage (with an IP address outside the DHCP address range) then if the device with that MAC addess requests an IP address it gets the "static" value instead of something from the pool???
Yes you are correct.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Re: Static DHCP leases ...

Postby bob selby » Mon May 16, 2011 2:19 am

bob selby
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x