Funny IP address assigned to PC ...

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Funny IP address assigned to PC ...

Postby bob selby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:13 am

I'm running 042 with an internal network address base of 192.168.1.*

The DHCP pool is set to 10-30 with the firewall box on 1 and two static addresses of 2 and 3 used for a wireless access point and a Vodafone SureSignal, respectively.

I took a laptop on a course with me and used it on a hotel WiFi service and initially had some difficulty getting it to connect and get an IP address - eventually it started working after reception rebooted their AP.

At home this laptop gets address ...23 but when I returned from the hotel it reconnected OK to the home AP but got an IP of 192.168.1.104!! Not surprisingly it had no connectivity and there were a lot of "deny" reports in the firewall logs.

IP fw-fwd deny eth0 UDP 192.168.1.104:53679 ...

Disabling and re-enabling the WiFi adapter on the laptop forced it to it's normal IP address.

I suspect that the 104 address *may* have been what it got at the hotel - but shouldn't 042 force a correct IP address under these circumstances ??

TIA,
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Re: Funny IP address assigned to PC ...

Postby Lightning » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:10 am

I suspect that the 104 address *may* have been what it got at the hotel - but shouldn't 042 force a correct IP address under these circumstances ??
Force is a very relative term. Meaning that is it possible to force the actions of one end of a rope from the other end. The answer to that question is yes, but ONLY when you are pulling on the rope.

My guess is that the laptop never asked for a DHCP lease and just tried using what it used on the last connection. Possibly due to the fact the lease it had for the other IP had not expired yet and it did not know it was a different connection.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Re: Funny IP address assigned to PC ...

Postby bob selby » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:48 am

OK - that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks,
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x