Slow throughput between subnets

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Slow throughput between subnets

Postby stuffduff » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:22 am

Hi,

I'm running 0.4.2. I went to transfer a file between two machines both directly connected to individual Ethernet cards on different subnets. After three tries the best throughput I could get was about 5 kbps. Neither the router nor either of the machines show any significant overhead. Any suggestions on how I can get this up to a decent speed?

Thanks,

Sean
stuffduff

Re: Slow throughput between subnets

Postby Lightning » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:37 pm

I have a couple questions, what are the network cards?

Cheap non bus mastering cards have terrible performance and especially when one machine is trying to use two of them at the same time. So if the cards are not something like Intel eepro100 or 3Com 3c905 cards the chances are high they are not. Also cheap cards even if they are bus mastering cards usually have very small buffers which also degrades performance.

What is the horsepower of this PC, ram and CPU speed?

A small amount of memory means that there is not much room for the OS operations and some things need to be stored in memory to improve performance. For a high speed router I would say no less than 32MB of ram and to get good throughput on internal NICs no less than a 200Mhz CPU and more would be better depending on the network cards.

You might also consider if you are going to upgrade the cards going with a Gigabit network card like a Netgear GA311.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby stuffduff » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:10 pm

After a few hours I ruled out the Freesco config. It was good. I've got a 1GHz 512 MB system with 3 3c905c's. Turned out to be an issue with the tg3 driver of the downstream system. RX errors a plenty. Stopped the network, removed the driver & reinstalled it. Now I'm cruzin' like a champ again. Now i need to migrate to your 0.43 raid configuration while everything is good!
stuffduff

Postby Lightning » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:45 pm

I've got a 1GHz 512 MB system
That is a very nice system as a router, in fact the same as what I run :wink:

Glad you figured out the problem.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x