Freesco as router between VMWare virtual networks

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Freesco as router between VMWare virtual networks

Postby SweLuzi » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:30 am

Dear all,

I have recently downloaded Freesco 0.4.3, and I must admit that I am having quite some problems with the configuration, even though I thought I would be able to manage. Here is my problem:

I have a VMWare 7 Workstation team, which I would like to connect to my internal company network with the Freesco routing functionality. The background is that I would like to test some functionality with reduced line performance, which I can easily simulate in the VMWare team with a team internal network. Now I would like to use Freesco to connect the VM-internal team to the company network for domain access.

Now my thinking was that I could simply connect the Freesco VM to both networks and set up a static route between the two networks, but I simply do not know how to configure the NICs in Freesco. I found some recent posts where Lightning wanted to upload a prepared VMware Freesco appliance, but I could not find any download links.

Is my thinking to naive? Is this not a typical scenario for a firewall/router like Freesco?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Tobias
SweLuzi

Re: Freesco as router between VMWare virtual networks

Postby Lightning » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Is my thinking to naive? Is this not a typical scenario for a firewall/router like Freesco?
I do not understand exactly what it is that you are trying to do. Specifics on subnets and what they should be able to do will be required along with gateways and client OS's and IPs. As for routing, FREESCO is by default configured for static routing and requires no special configuration. In most cases where routing is a problem, the client end of things is the problem and particularly in "test" configurations.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby SweLuzi » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:44 am

Dear Lightning,

let me try to explain what exactly I am trying to do.

I have Freesco running in a VMWare Workstation 7 machine, with two NICs.
NIC 1 is connected to the corporate network on 10.112.12.0/22 (255.255.252.0) - Gateway:10.112.12.1
NIC 2 is connected to the VMWare team internal network on 192.168.99.0/24 (255.255.255.0) - Gateway should be the Freesco router

Now I would like all clients on the network 192.168.99.0 to be able to connect to the network 10.112.12.0 and vice versa. I have read about the first NIC in Freesco to automatially act as a firewall, and I am unsure whether the NICs are correctly installed with the required drivers, so I am unsure how to continue. I was hoping to receive help with this problem.

Thanks so much for your help.

BR
Tobias
SweLuzi

Postby Lightning » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:32 pm

You have two issues that always come up when routing traffic through a secondary router internally. The first issue is that your primary configuration for FREESCO must be without the firewall. Which the firewall can be turned off in the setup.

setup -> system settings -> expert settings -> firewall

The secondary issue is to connect to the clients on the 10.112.12.0/22 network will REQUIRE that each client have an extra route added for the 192.168.99.0/24 subnet using the FREESCO IP address on the 10.112.10.0/22 subnet. Otherwise when they get a request for an IP address they can't directly see they will just route it through there normal default gateway and it will be sent to the Internet instead of back internally.

So if both of the above items are done then you will have full communication between both subnets through FREESCO.

The secondary way to configure this would be to use the standard ethernet mode with the firewall enabled. With this configuration the 192.168.99.0/243 clients could connect to anything they want without any other things done. But the 10.112.10.0/22 subnet would NOT be able t6o see any of the clients on the 192.168.99.0/24 subnet.

The thing to understand about routing is that anything that is not directly connected to a subnet can not be seen and the client knows nothing about it. So by default it is just sent to the default gateway. It is like giving someone directions how to get across town and the only thing they know is as far as they can see down the street and you are only allowed to tell them the first turn. But if the first turn is someone who can tell them the rest of the route it can be done and the first turn in this example is always the default gateway or a special gateway for a subnet that can't be seen.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x