04x and "BT Infinity" (UK) ??

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

04x and "BT Infinity" (UK) ??

Postby bob selby » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:13 am

Has anyone got 04x working by plugging the firewall box directly into BTs modem??

The normal BT Infinity setup is their router plugged into their special modem, but you are supposed to be able to replace their router with your own.

I have seen comments that the router has to support PPPOE ... and others that it is a simple Ethernet link.

I just want to check it works before I switch ;-)

Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Re: 04x and "BT Infinity" (UK) ??

Postby bob selby » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:41 am

Bumping this post - has anyone got this working ??
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 pm

I suspect the reality of whether you need PPPoE or just plain Ethernet is dependent upon how you co9nfigure the modem. Most DSL modems have the capability of just being a dumb interface or they can also usually have an option to create the PPPoE connection and transfer plain Ethernet to the router in varying types of bridging modes.

Although I have absolutely no experience with this specific service and it would be helpful if anyone has actually done it.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:59 am

Looking at the website it seems as if PPPoE is needed to login - they describe how to do it for other black box routers - they give the username an password so I guess I just need to configure 044's PPPoE with that info and away I (may or may not) go.

It would be very nice to hear if anyone HAS got it working tho' - I'd hate to have it installed only to find out I can't use 044 :-(

Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby bob selby » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:47 am

OK - having upgraded to BT Infinity I am now getting 37Mb/s download :-)

The BT HomeHub supports "802.11abgn" and "ac" but I don't have an "n" or "ac" adapter, the best I have is "g", and I found that wireless performance wasn't very good for me.
I have seen comments that disabling "n" and "ac" helps with this, but I didn't experiment with this.

The latest BT HomeHub (v5) does not need an external modem so I set it up with the 040 firewall in the BT Hub's DMZ and disabled its wireless (I use my own AP).
This gives me 37Mb/s to all machines on the network (wired or wireless) !!! :-)

I did get hold of a BT modem from a BT HomeHub v4 and replaced the Bt HomeHub with it then setup my 040 firewall to use PPP0E and it certainly worked, but the
download speed dropped to about 15Mb/s, so I went back to using the BT HomeHub v5.

Everything seems to work just fine - the only this I had to add to the BT HomeHub config was a port forward for SSH to the 040 box for remote access from work.

I hope this helps/reassures others.
Bob

Incidentally, this left me with an O2 broadband hub - searching the web found me a procedure to convert it into a plain wireless AP - works a treat! even better than the existing AP that I had.
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:20 pm

I have seen speed issues before using PPPoE. The issue is that it takes quite a bit more horsepower to process the data using PPPoE over plain Ethernet. Of course at 37Mb I have no idea how much that would be for this type of connection. As for converting other hardware devices I don't usually recommend software, but DD-WRT can make those devices do anything you want them to if the device is compatible, which a good percentage are.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:05 pm

Sadly the O2 box isnt supported by that package.

However, you dont need it if all you want to do is configure it as an AP - you can do it all via the web config interface.
bob selby
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x