Can't acess Control Panel after upgrade to 4.4.

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Can't acess Control Panel after upgrade to 4.4.

Postby Islander » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:15 pm

Finally decided to upgrade to 4.4 from 4.3 during Christmas.
I made a fresh install on an old harddrive on my backup machine and then installed the drive in the router.
As router the 4.4 seemed to work as it should but the control panel didn't.
After a lot of troubleshooting I have found that I can acess the control panel for about 5 min after the router have booted whereafter it stops responding even if you are logged in and using the interface.( I can add that the same bahaviour applies to the web server on port 80).
At this moment I have gone through all configuration options so many times without finding any setting that changes this behaviour so now I hope that sombody can give me a hint about what's wrong.

/Islander
Islander

Re: Can't acess Control Panel after upgrade to 4.4.

Postby Lightning » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:52 pm

If this machine was stable previously then this behavior is caused by a kernel incompatibility. I would recommend changing back to what ever kernel you were running in 0.4.3 . For ext2 installs be sure to run "lilo" after the kernel change. This has happened in the past on some specific machines and it was resolved by restarting the control panel after everything else was started from within the rc_user script $star) section using "rc_control $rest"

There is also a third option "0.4.5" :wink: Just send me a PM.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Islander » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:35 am

Thank you Lightning for the Quick answer.
I have never had to use anything else than the stock kernel on any of my installations so I feel I'm on thin ice when it comes to change kernel.
The computers I have used have never before required anything else but since I have my identical backup computer to play with I will give it a try.

/Islander
Islander

Postby Islander » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:53 pm

Now I tryed with different kernels and neither of them solve the problem of making the web services of 0.4.4 available on my old Compaq 5670 for more than a couple of minutes after booting.
An upgrade to 0.4.5 that Lightning made available seems to work but have only seen test environment so far.
I will put it into real time operation as soon as I can get axcess to the production system.

/Islander
Islander

Postby Islander » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:06 pm

Upgrade to 0.4.5 just made the webservices available longer but after about 30 min they stopped responding.
I got port 80 responding by setting it to [y] but that's not an alternative for port 82.
/Islander
Islander

Postby Lightning » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:02 pm

Hmmmmm, setting a server to y/s/e does not effect the actual server in any way. All it does is to add various firewall rules to the system to change access.
Also the web server and the control panel server are the same server, just started with different options.

Try using

rc_control restart

This is not a cure, but it will get it running again. As for the real problem I am unsure, but in all cases where this has been an issue. Changing the kernel has solved the problem, the only real issue using any other kernel in an 0.4.5 system is that the nfs.o module is built into the stock kernel, but if you are not going to mount a NFS share then it is of no consequence. So if you had a system that was stable on this machine you could install that stock kernel and see what happens.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Islander » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:41 am

After a "rc_control restart" it seems to work as it should until next reboot.
Enabling the Server monitor for the Web and Control server fixes the problem without me having to log in to the system after every reeboot to restart the servers.
I guess this means I could even downgrade to 0.4.4 an use the same solution there.

/Islander
Islander

Postby Lightning » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:20 pm

I have seen the "rc_control restart" placed inside the "$star)" section of the /rc/rc_user script be effective at solving the problem as well, because that is the last script to run at startup.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x