v4.5 as FTP server users not able to access but root can

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

v4.5 as FTP server users not able to access but root can

Postby vmxtech » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:52 pm

I had a need for a stand alone FTP at work for a piece of monitoring equipment. I remembered using Freesco for my personal and work routers years ago. I downloaded the latest version and configured as the following.

it only has one NIC I set up service as ftp, and http. after rebooting and verifying I could log into the unit's FTP interface using filezilla as the root. No problem. Able to browse where ever I wanted. So I know FTP is working. I then used the web interface to create an additional user as Normal and with home directory. I then tried to FTP into it. It attempts to login. It accepts the user name and password but gives me an error of could not connect to server. I figured, ok, let me create an FTP user. No Dice. I tried setting up accounts using router.bat setup. I still have this same issue. I am guessing that there maybe some commands that need to be issued via console that correct this. I am a casual Linux user and I know that Freesco highly modifies what they put in their product. I did a search thru the forums but did not find anything that appears to apply to this issue.

Also when booting I am seeing the error rc_user: permission denied. I do not know if that is normal for this version or not.

Can I be pointed to the right post or instructions on correcting this. Am I missing something or is this an issue with this version?
vmxtech

Re: v4.5 as FTP server users not able to access but root can

Postby Lightning » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:13 pm

To my knowledge there is no issues with FTP users. If you create as an FTP user it just dumps the users into the /home/ftp directory. If they are a normal user with a home directory it puts them into that directory.
Try creating the user from the command line with
Code: Select all
useradd any-name

As for the permission denied for the rc_user script. That is an odd thing because it is one of the original system files. If this is running on a floppy then I might suspect a floppy issue. FREESCO only uses one FAT table on the floppy, so the system will boot and use a floppy even when it is bad. Which is good for a router to always boot, but bad if something goes wrong.

Past that a report.txt is always needed to go into any detail.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby vmxtech » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:09 am

I have tried what was suggested. No Dice. I noticed a few things.
First things first:
I used the ISO and created an CD.
I am using Freedos as the initial booting OS on the hard drive.
I am using Fat32.

Now initially I formatted the Hard drive with Freedos and installed it as the boot OS. I then rebooted with the Freesco ISO image burned to CD. I then used the move2hd command to transfer freesco onto the hard drive. I rebooted off of the hard drive and ran router.bat setup. during starting of Freesco and subsequent starts I get the rc_user: permission denied error as well as unable to have created users access thier folders via ftp.

Now if I boot off the ISO image and start Freesco I do not get the rc_user: Permission denied error. I am able to create users and access the folders via ftp. Of course since I am booting off of CD I can not save to it. The PC does not have a floppy so I can not use the traditional method of floppy Fressco either.

I am guessing that it is an issue with copying files from CD to hard drive.
vmxtech

Postby Lightning » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:27 pm

My conclusion would be the same. Is there a specific reason that you wanted or needed FreeDOS or would it be possible to just boot the CD and use the ext2 package. Because the ext2 package comes on the CD and it could create an EXT2 files system on the hard drive from scratch without the need for DOS. Secondly it is a MUCH better files system as it is self defragmenting and capable of error correction as well.

I will however look into the CD DOS issue, but it will be a while before I have a chance to get that far.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby vmxtech » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:14 pm

That did the trick.
Thanks.

I will post what I did in case others have similar issues.

rc_ext2 setup command I was unfamilier with. So a quick web search returned this article on putting Freesco 4.3 on a VM: http://www.jume.nl/entry/put-freesco-on ... l-ext2-hdd
Since this was Freesco 4.5 not 4.3 I needed to get package from here: http://www.freesco.org/packages/ext2-0.4.5-lewis.pkg
I followed the article except where it did not relate. Virtual Machine setup and the like. I would recommend reading the article.

I am going to assume you have your hardware ready....
1. Download Freesco 4.5 archive file and extract the ISO. Go ahead and burn this image onto CD.
2. Download ext2-0.4.5-lewis.pkg
3. for those unfamiliar with using command line FTP commands, and are using Windows, Download an FTP client like FileZilla.
4. Boot your Freesco hardware with the Freesco CD image and press "enter" when prompted. This will start Freesco with it's default settings.
5. Open up your FTP client or use the FTP commands to connect to your Freesco device by the IP address displayed on it's screen.
6. Upload the ext2-0.4.5-lewis.pkg to /mnt/ram1
7. On your Freesco box, login username:root |Password:root
8. At the commnad prompt type in: pkg -r /mnt/ram1/ext2-0.4.5-lewis.pkg and press enter
9. type in: rc_ext2 setup and press enter
10. It will give a failure message which is ok because it is trying to run this on the CD. Next it will display a choice of hard drive. In my case it was \dev\hda1
11. once I had selected and confirmed my choice, it will create an ext2 partition. I did not choose to install swap partion because of the amount of memory my Fressco box had.
12. It should be asking if you want to copy Freesco to your ext2 partition about now. Go ahead and confirm. I choose (c)lean install and no 3rd party stuff.
13. Next choice is too modify lilo.conf file which you should choose (N)o. It will ask if you want it to run. Which you Should choose (Y)es.
14. It will finish and bring you back to a command prompt. crtl-alt del to reboot. Remove the CD and allow it to start.

You are now ready to configure your Freesco router.

If you have questions or want to know more, read the above referenced article [AND] these Forums as they are full of useful information.
vmxtech

Postby Lightning » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 pm

I am really glad you got it working correctly, however as stated the ext2 package is already on the CD and all you have to do is install it from the "setup" package menu.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x