Need help by installing Freesco 4.5

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x

Need help by installing Freesco 4.5

Postby lotus123r5 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:33 pm

need some help.... starting to make a freesco 4.5 up and running but have allready problem by the start "move2hdd"... :(
cannot find the drive. Drive is bootable with fat32. 80GB drive. "c:\format c: /s" allready done.
when starting the computer without any bootable cd/floppy it comes to C:\ (also good)
the disk drive is sata on port 0 (get the information from the bios).
As far as i know, is that the computer with Freesco 0.38 also have sata connection.
it is a pentium 1.2 GHZ, ram 1 GB.
i also but the time zone amsterdam to the a:\router\tmz\ directory on the floppy.
but when start Freesco 0.45 i get an error on the timzone.
When i choose for option c [clean install] the harddisk cannot be found. Any suggestions?
long time ago for me that i installed a new version... maybe iam wrong about the sata...., but i hope not...
see attachement. Thx!... .. again!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lotus123r5

Re: Need help by installing Freesco 4.5

Postby Lightning » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:59 pm

the disk drive is sata

The default kernel does not support SATA drives, however if you put a kernel that has "Triton" in the name on the CD or floppy there is a chance it will work. Just make certain to rename the new kernel to "kernel" rather than the original long name that shows what options it has enabled.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lotus123r5 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:06 am

Hello Lewis,

Thx for the info!
i can also put another hard drive (i already have) inside the computer with a flat control ide cable?...
if i change the kernel, then i don't have all benefits of the default new kernel 0.45?...
What is the best thing to do?

Thx again!
Best regards, Maikel
lotus123r5

Postby lotus123r5 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:49 pm

ps. i donwload the kernel data from http://freesco.sourceforge.net/ : source 0.4.x series (2.0.40), filename: freesco-kernel-source
i extract all files and i search for the "Triton" and found:
triton.040.c and triton.c, both 36 KB
if i copy one to the floppy disk, named "KERNEL" and overwrite the original existing KERNEL file: 335 KB and reboot the floppy i get a the message:
Invalid or corrupt kernel image followed by boot:
plse some more info about changing the kernel... would be great, or a post where i could find the info... if possible.
Thx so much, and sorry for bothering ..... again.... :(
lotus123r5

Postby Lightning » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:26 pm

Since the start of the 04x series kernels have been part of the package system. So you can download pre made kernels from any FREESCOsoft package mirror or directly using the "pkg" command if you scroll to the bottom of the listing. However for your application it will probably be easier to just download one from the machine your using now. http://freescosoft.freesco.net/fs.04x.kernel.php

Regardless of which hard drive you end up using I would still recommend installing a Triton kernel because the drive will operate more efficiently. The stock kernel is designed for size and to operate a floppy, it will also operate IDE drives in there base mode and any 386 of faster CPU. If you plan on installing the Apache package at any point you will also need a kernel with VIPC and should use a 686 kernel to enable some of the Pentium CPU features. Depending on your application you may also want to use a raid enabled kernel if you want more speed or just an extra backup drive and the install system will guide you through it once the raid kernel is installed when you use the "mv2hd" command.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lotus123r5 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:18 am

OK, thx! i will go for sata disk and the latest triton kernel:

kernel-044.686-vipc-cd-triton-power_off
Ver: 2.0.40
KERNEL 384 KB
Apr 4 2012

hope to have all up and running this weekend... :P :roll:
Many thanks for your superb support!
I dont know what Freesco will be, without you..... :(
lotus123r5

Re: Need more help by installing Freesco 4.5

Postby lotus123r5 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:38 pm

ok, first i tried to copy the Triton KERNEL (385 kb) to the floppy disk, but cannot manage cause the floppy disk is full and ask for another floppy disk... so not good... :(
then i copy all files to an usb stick, including the Triton KERNEL. Change the the a:\syslinux.cfg lines from "BOOTDEV=fd0" to "BOOTDEV=usb".
if i boot from the usb drive then i get the following message: "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart". So my computer dont boot from the usb stick... :(
so i change the floppy disk a:\syslinux.cfg from "BOOTDEV=fd0" to "BOOTDEV=usb" and put the floppy disk in the computer to boot and put the usb stick inside, so it can get the files from there...?
network cards are TP-Link gigabit PCI and put an internet cable to connect to the internet as i read from the readme page. i get the message that the network cards are not found and many other errors....

the readme file says: "change the a:\syslinux.cfg lines from "BOOTDEV=fd0" to "BOOTDEV=usb" and that the built in network card drivers support your network card(s), You must also be connected to the Internet to download the kernel and ramdisk for an ext2 install or you can copy these files directly to a FAT hard drive install from DOS..... "

see attachement.... sorry, but need some more help to have 0.45 up and running. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lotus123r5

ide drive also not working with default Freesco boot floppy

Postby lotus123r5 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:58 am

little bit confused how to make all work, so i tried to check if the IDE harddisk work with the default Freesco floppy i make with make_fd.bat.
this disk is formatted with a win95 boot disk, cause my win98 boot disk stopped working... and i couldnt find this quick a copy .... :(
"no usable hard drive/partition was found" :cry:
see attachment... any solutions?.... thx again! :?

error_ide.jpg
lotus123r5

Postby Lightning » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:50 pm

Boot the floppy and from a command line type
Code: Select all
dmesg  |  grep  ide

Post the output of that command. But my guess is that it will not show anything and it will mean that your sata drives are not supported. Although if you have more than one drive installed it could be trying a different drive.

Another option is to boot the floppy in "normal" mode and go to the package section of the setup and install the ext2 package. In the first stage of the move2ext2 it uses cfdisk, which will look for any type of disk the system will support.

If none of that yields any good results please let me know what type of IDE controller your motherboard is using. Because to my knowledge they should all be supported.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lotus123r5 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:28 pm

make copy of the the last screen after loading ramdisk and loading the kernel in "normal mode".
Freesco see the ide connected samsung harddrive (see attachment)
dmesg | grep ide
ide0 at 0x1f0..... etc on irq 14
but with the command option move2hd it dont work...
lotus123r5

Postby lotus123r5 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:36 pm

if i go to command and go to /bin there is no move2hd command... to try if it work like that...
i see many commands, but move2hd is not here... will be in another directory.....
what can be wrong here... the harddrive is there, but cannot put data on it..
network cards are not recognized... i can go in normal mode to the package menu, but without internet connection (network cards are not detected), i cannot download the ext2 package.
is it possible to install it on another way?...
lotus123r5

Postby lotus123r5 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:16 am

full message: dmesg | grep ide
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
lotus123r5

Postby Lightning » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:13 pm

network cards are not recognized... i can go in normal mode to the package menu, but without internet connection (network cards are not detected), i cannot download the ext2 package.
is it possible to install it on another way?...

Hmmmmmm....... very strange that the system is not finding the hard drive to install to, unless the drive is not formatted as VFAT???

However as the drive is seen by the system it means that the ext2 package would work. So the issue is what type of network cards do you have in th system?
If there is no name on the cards then the writing on the main chip is enough to identify them and the driver can be placed in the a:\router\drv\ directory.

If you know the chip set then one of the extra drivers can be loaded on the floppy to make it all work. There are other alternatives but getting the network cards to work is by far the easiest.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Lightning » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:16 pm

I was re-reading your previous posts and noticed that there is a picture of a TP-Link network card. Unfortunately there is no way to actually read the chip from the picture. In order to work with the gigabit driver it will need to be a RTL8169 of some sort. Although there are a few others that are supported. You can use this command to help find out.
Code: Select all
cat  /proc/pci  >/pci.txt

and post the contents of that file.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby lotus123r5 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:50 am

Hereby a picture of the network card. if i use "cat /proc/pci >/pci.txt" then the contents is empty (see attachment).
at the picture i only use "cat /proc/pci" to find out that no network cards are found.
chipset on the photo = RTL8169SC... i think my computer is bewitched.. :o :? :roll:
nwcard.jpg
lotus123r5

Next

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.4.x