How to have internet while poptop connection

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x 3rd Party Packages

How to have internet while poptop connection

Postby Dutchblack » Sun May 16, 2010 9:04 am

Hi all I have been struggling along time with this
I would love to have Internet connection while connected to poptop and my freesco.
I know the first poptop versions for freesco used to allow this I understand is it is more secure to not allow Internet connection true the vpn server.
who know how i need to manipulate the vpn server of my xp vpn client to allow Internet browsing while connected to Internet.

Cheers Julian
Dutchblack

Re: How to have internet while poptop connection

Postby Lightning » Mon May 17, 2010 12:15 am

The packages for the 03x series and the 04x series use the same firewall rules. However I suspect the difference is the firewall it's self. So try changing your firewall from "y" to "s" mode so it is running in symetric mode and it may solve your issues. It is in the

setup -> system settings -> expert settings

Then reset the firewall with

rc_masq restart

If that still doesn't work then I will try and remember the old firewall rules when the package was first made.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Mon May 17, 2010 4:10 am

One other thing to check, in the VPN connection Advanced TCP/IP settings at the XP Client side, make sure the 'use default gateway on remote network' is not checked to keep using the same internet gateway instead of switching to the one via the VPN link (which is your FREESCO box).

That way you will have access to the LAN side of your FREESCO but not have to use it's internet connection. I'm not sure of this is what you're trying to accomplish?
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Lightning » Mon May 17, 2010 7:30 pm

One other thing to check, in the VPN connection Advanced TCP/IP settings at the XP Client side, make sure the 'use default gateway on remote network' is not checked to keep using the same internet gateway instead of switching to the one via the VPN link (which is your FREESCO box).
This is actually the best solution because even if you get everything working properly through FREESCO and get Internet through the VPN connection. Anything that you already have running on your system will have to reconnect using the remote IP address. So you always will get a disconnect and reconnect in some manor unless you use the client side solution.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Dutchblack » Wed May 19, 2010 5:36 am

Thank you guys

I will try this as soon as i'm at home tonight .
Thank you thank you
Dutchblack

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.4.x