wakelan

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x 3rd Party Packages

wakelan

Postby strampke » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:41 pm

I am too busy too act upon anything that changes in my computer network swiftly.

But lately, maybe since I switched from 0.4.2 to 0.4.3 wakelan doesn't do it's job anymore.
I organised the LAN wakelans in a file named switch-on-all-computers which resides in /boot/bin
This file is woken up by cron.

I noticed it didn't do its job since I don't know when exactly.
Today I had some spare time to wakelan a specific MAC addresss from a computer which should react, but it just didn't.
The strange thing is that it does react on a wake up call from another Windows XP client in my network.

So, my conclusion is that computers are apt to be woken up and that Freesco's wakeuplan isn't capable of doing so.

To be certain that it isn't due to wrong wakelan installation I reinstalled Dingetjes wakelean 1.1

Oh yes, this file has been chmodded to 755 to work properly.

Maybe this bug is known, but if it isn't I will add my report.txt later.
Who knows knows, who doesn't doesn't.
strampke
Junior Advanced Member

Re: wakelan

Postby Lightning » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:43 pm

I am uncertain of the package or functionality of the package as it was just a repack of the 03x version. However I do have some newer binaries to try out and see if they do what you are wanting.

Wakelan 1.1.1 and Wol 0.7.1
http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/test/

The input format is a small amount different between wol and wakelan. But the man pages or using them with '--help' should be enough information to get them to work. You will need to put one or both in the /boot/bin directory and use 'chmod +x' on both to make them executable.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Lightning » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:31 am

I have tested the wol binary and it does work. It also has some extra features over the wakelan binary in that it is already designed to read a file with a list of mac addresses to wake up a list of machines. So it can be used as a cron job with a command like

wol -f /file-list

Where 'file-list' is a file with mac addresses listed on each line and optionally followed by an IP address.

However testing the wakelan package it also worked on my network. So I am not completely certain what might be wrong in your configuration.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby strampke » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:57 am

Somehow my network refuses to accept magic packets.
Even with wol no computer starts up.
wol in -v mode returns the correct information.
I'll attach a report
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
strampke
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Usually the problem is that you need to send the IP address with the mac address. This is at least the case with the wol binary. So use something like

wol xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -i 192.168.1.xx

On a side note, 0.4.4 has the v0.2.0 wol binary built into the system along with a control panel addon to show all DHCP lease names, IP's, and mac addresses. But during the process of developing this feature I have discovered two things. The first is that the wakelan binary in the 04x package works fine and second that whether some machines will wake up is dependent on how they are shut down. This could just be some specific machines that I have. But on those machines if I use the halt command to power them off, then they will not start with wol. But if I use reboot and then manually power off the machine before it tries to restart it will. The however are older 1ghz P3 compaq machines which happen to have other quirks as well.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby strampke » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:30 pm

I have installed and now uninstalled wol and wakelan 1.1 and want to experiment with the built-in wakelan.
However this gives me a 'permission denied' : how come?

And when is 0.4.4 due for release?
strampke
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:44 pm

and want to experiment with the built-in wakelan.
However this gives me a 'permission denied' : how come?

There is a built in wol binary in 043, Which in essence I think is the same binary that I am currently using. However why it would say permission denied I am uncertain of, I do know that in most cases you must provide the MAC address and IP address to get it to function as shown above.

wol -m xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx -i xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
And when is 0.4.4 due for release?

Hmmmm that is always a good question, I thought that it was VERY close to release a month ago or so. But then I got involved in a symmetric NAT issue along with another new feature or two and so that VERY close has become pretty soon. I will have a week off of work next month, so I hopefully I will get a chance to get some of the necessary stuff done to the system to at least make it beta test finished. There currently is nothing wrong with 044, but you know how some tinkerers are :wink:
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby strampke » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:41 am

Might it be possible that I blocked a port which prevents the wakeup call to arrive at its destiny?
Neither wol nor wakelan works, whilst a DOS driven wakeup call from an XP client in the LAN is instantly obeyed by the other clients.
strampke
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:38 pm

It is doubtful that you have blocked UDP port 40,000 as an outgoing port on your router. So I have no idea why it is not running on your system.
However to prove whether this is something that is configured or changed on your system. I would recommend booting a 0.4.3 FREESCO floppy and try the wol binary from it.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.4.x