Odd problem with hosts 1.10 pkg ...

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x 3rd Party Packages

Odd problem with hosts 1.10 pkg ...

Postby bob selby » Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Actually it's not the hosts pkg as such that has the problem, that seems to be OK.

If I add an "include" by editing the "hosts.include" file via the console it works fine.

But, if I try to add it via the web interface with "add-include" it doesnt complain, but the update doesnt appear in the "hosts.include" file and not in the "view-include" menu either.

I am running 0.4.3 (I believe).

I have tried changing the permissions on the file to no effect.

Any ideas ??

I'm sure this was working before :-(

Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Re: Odd problem with hosts 1.10 pkg ...

Postby Lightning » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:13 am

My first guess is that you might have created a /etc/ file rather than it just being a link when you edited it at some point. You can try these commands and see if it fixes the problem.
Code: Select all
rm /etc/hosts.include
rm /boot/etc/hosts.include
pkg -rescan

After the above commands try and use the control panel and see what happens. The real file you want to edit and change manually is /pkg/etc/hosts.include

BTW there is an alternative way to use the hosts package that is pretty neat. It is possible to redirect the IP address of listed URL's to FREESCO's web server on an error page that shows you the name of the URL being blocked along with a nice logo. Some browsers seem to like a fake URL better than nothing. This optional way I am thinking about creating a package for.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:27 am

I tried that and it still failed (BTW it was a link in /etc to the expected file) :-(

It's almost like a permissions issue ... but I get no errors or warnings.

edit --- I've fiddled about a bit more and it seems that I can add excludes OK - just not includes

edit again --- being a suspicious old git I tried IE as the browser and it worked !! :-)
so ... it seems to be a compatability issue with Firefox 13.0 ... I'm sure it worked with Firefox before ... so I'm not sure what's changed.

Thanks for your help
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby bob selby » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:42 am

A bit more info ...

Under Firefox 13.01 from work (tunneling in via SSH) I get the following status on the web interface :-

ADD-INCLUDE
Adding URLs [www.dribble.com]... Memory fault
Done

ACTIVATING CHANGES
Stopping dnsmasq.... Done
Starting DNS... Done port 53 secure

But it did actually manage to add the URL OK

"Memory fault" looks suspicious ...

Interesting the difference between FF 13.0 and 13.1

Best Regards,
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby bob selby » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:02 am

Here is the report.txt you wanted.
Regards
Bob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby bob selby » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:58 am

Just a point ...

I noticed that you provide a new 404.html" error file ... but shouldn't it be called "err404.html" and put in "/www/errors" and not "/www/error" ??

I am using "thhtpd" so perhaps that explains the difference ??
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:20 am

I am using "thhtpd" so perhaps that explains the difference ??

Hmmmmm I didn't really think anyone was still running 0.4.0 as there were so many issues that were fixed in later versions. When I recompiled thttpd for 0.4.2+ systems I changed the defaults so that the file and directory structure matches Apache. That way there are no changes required between the two. Of course this does cause some confusion if you are looking at documentation for thttpd. So error pages are /www/error/###.html, however for an 0.4.0 system you are correct and it should be /www/errors and err###.html

This could also explain some other odd behavior with the install as well because of some variable changes in the system.cfg file and possibly the rc_dns script.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:45 am

Ah - I see ;-)

OK - So, it's probably about time I "bit the bullet" and upgraded to 0.4.4 ??

I have installed the patches but I guess they dont do the whole upgrade.

I hesitate to upgrade just for this (since I can do it via a direct editor) since I have tailored the system quite a lot.

Is 0.4.4 the latest or are you close to producing 0.5.0 or 0.4.5 ??

Interestingly, last night I reinstalled "mc" since it was behaving a bit oddly when viewing files and the problem *seems* to have gone away, even with FF ... needs more testing. Very strange - I guess a shared DLL got updated ??

Regards
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:33 pm

I guess a shared DLL got updated ??
Or possibly a binary also.

As for an upgrade, I am planning on releasing 0.4.5 in the near future. It is some bug fixes and a few enhancements and not really to much changes from 0.4.4 so I am not going to go through a long beta testing period for it. But when it is released I would STRONGLY recommend updating your system. A quick read of the history.txt for the 04x series should be enough incentive.

For now a change of the web directory and the file names should make the hosts package work as it is supposed to on your system. Although I should add some scripting to check for what version of FREESCO it is being installed on to stop the initial problem of miss named files.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.4.x