Problem upgrading to 044 ...

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x 3rd Party Packages

Problem upgrading to 044 ...

Postby bob selby » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:27 am

I tried to use a bootable CD created from the ISO in the release package.

When the CD was booting I saw an error/warning flash past about "ZCAT - INVALID compressed data --- format invalid"

I went through the install anyway and it *seemed* OK but now when I boot the system I get the same error just after the system mounts the disk.

Reburnt the ISO - same.

Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Re: Problem upgrading to 044 ...

Postby Lightning » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:24 am

As the first ISO version there have been various issues with the CD. It is possible the error is coming from the language files in the /boot/language directory. None of the files in this directory are required for an English system. So if the system is running you can try

rm-rf /boot/language/*
sync
reboot

Past that I would recommend the floppy version to repair the system. The CD version uses a different kernel that is not compatible with all systems and it has been problematic. This is something that I am working on for 0.4.5 with the kernel and the various complexities of using a CD.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Re: Problem upgrading to 044 ...

Postby Peppe/Sweden » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:53 am

This is a little offtopic but I have a comment.
If the motherboard have usb, but don't have a the possiblity to boot from usb you can use plop;
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/index.html

In other words, you can have either a floppy och cdrom with plop which could boot any bootable usb pin, and you could use the Freesco usb installer instead of the cdrom version.

Regards, Peter
[COLOR=blue] You mean that I don?t fly airplanes , I don?t have a grilfriend and don?t have a dog ? Buuh , I grow up to be a real loser! (The Kid , walt disney) [COLOR=blue]
Peppe/Sweden
Junior Advanced Member

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.4.x