free dynamic domain

Support section for FREESCO v0.4.x 3rd Party Packages

free dynamic domain

Postby koni » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:56 am

Helo,
How do I find out whether my dynamic domain is working? I try to configure it in the apache as a ServerName but it does not seem to work

thanks
kon
koni

Re: free dynamic domain

Postby Lightning » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:47 pm

In Apache unless you are using virtual hosts it really does not matter what name you are using other than some error replies. As for checking a domain to see if it is working or not you have to test it from an outside source. Although if your IP address is current on the dyndns site it will be working unless you happen to be on a private subnet or have something miss configured. Attaching a report.txt would give me enough information to answer any miss configuration issues.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby koni » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:25 pm

hello Lightning,

Here is my report file. My free dynamic domain is
winam.changeip.net
on the servername in httpd.conf file.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
koni

Postby Lightning » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Sorry for not seeing your post sooner.

At first glance you have your web server set in "secure" mode. Which means no external access is allowed. So if youi want your dynamic domain to access the web server it must be set in "y" mode. Even though it will show as "insecure" when starting the server it is usually not a huge issue. The reason it is shown as "insecure" is that any outside access always diminishes security in some manor.

Run the "setup" and go into the "server" section to change the web server settings. I would also recommend changing the "local dyndns" as well so that the dynamic DNS name will resolve internally for your internal clients.

setup -> configure servers -> HTTP server -> Enable public HTTP server = y
Dynamic DNS client -> Enable local dyndns URL lookup = y

Once you have saved the new configuration you will need to run these commands to get the outside access running and DNS internal lookups of the domain name.

rc_masq restart
rc_dns restart

After the above changes the system should work as you are wanting.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.4.x