Remote Administration

If it does not fit any where else, then post it here.
SPAM is not allowed, here or any other forums

Postby effo » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:02 pm

I need to connect to my parents computer to help them get rid of some spyware. They have a W2K machine behind a FREESCO. I have a Debian box behind a FREESCO. I came across <a href='http://www.freesco.org/support-forum/index.php?showtopic=285' target='_blank'>this topic</a> which seem to describe what I want to do. But no matter how I try, I can not connect to their computer.

Before I dig deeper in to this, can anybody confirm that
1) what I want to do is possible
2) doing it as described in the post is correct

I guess an alternative to PuTTY could be to use ssh:

Code: Select all
ssh -L 5901:ip.of.w2k.machine:5901 -p 22 public.ip.of.freesco
This is Linux country. On a silent night you can hear Windows reboot.
effo

Postby TalkingToes » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:59 pm

Where I work, we use <a href='http://www.GoToMeeting.com' target='_blank'>www.GoToMeeting.com </a>to connect to our customer's PC. It's a java app that uninstalls once we disconnect. Secure, requires a 9 digit access code unique to my screen, so only those I tell can get access. We make the customer the Presentor, they give me the Keyboard/Mouse, and I have full control of their Windows PC (no Macs, yet). We sell Copiers and Printers, and people screw up their drivers/settings, and it's easier to talk them thru connecting, vs asking them what their screen shows. Most firewalls have worked w/o problems for us (a local bank had their firewall tight, which was understandable!)

<a href='http://www.GoToMyPC.com' target='_blank'>www.GoToMyPC.com</a> might be an option too... unlimited access to 1 pc, for 30 days. Same company, different interface.

More on topic:

I connect from work (running Windows), to my freesco box via puTTY. I have ports forwarded to the two machines running VNC clients. (5910 goes to my Windows:5900, 5911 to Ubuntu:5900 ). I then start my VNC Client at work, connecting to localhost:5910 and get a VNC login prompt for my Windows PC. localhost:5911 connects to Ubuntu box, with a VNC password. (I have the VNC on the computers request a password at connection). I'd suggest a low color depth if you have low bandwidth.

Oh yea, You did open WinXP's firewall: TCP Port 5900, on your Parent's PC?

TalkingToes in Seattle, WA, USA
5' 16" is easy math, so why do SO many miss it?
TalkingToes

Postby Thasaidon » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:08 am

I don't want to step on your (Talking)Toes :) :D , but his parents are running Win2k (aka win2000) not winxp, so there should be no windows firewall problem.

As for what you are trying to do, yes it is possible, but I'm not sure what steps you have taken so far...

only a few steps are needed...
1) make sure your parents Freesco accepts SSH connections from the internet (port 22?)

2) install a remote server prog (like VNC etc) on your parents Win2K machine

3) configure this server prog to accept connections on a certain port (5901?)

4) Setup the tunnel configuration in Putty as described in the howto
(putty is also available for Linux when using X, I think)
Local 127.0.0.2:5901 win2k.lan.ip:5901

or use this command from your debian commandline
ssh -L 127.0.0.2:5901:lan.ip.of.w2k.machine:5901 -p 22 public.ip.of.parents.freesco

finally setup a vnc connection to 127.0.0.2:5901 and this should connect to your parents VNC server on their win2k machine.

Just as a sidenote, I would NOT recommend running an SSH server on your parents Freesco on it's default port... just for security reasons.
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby dilberts_left_nut » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:58 am

Check out UltravncSC (for Single Click)

<a href='http://www.uvnc.com/addons/singleclick.html' target='_blank'>http://www.uvnc.com/addons/singleclick.html</a>

Link doesn't seem to be working for me atm :(

You can build an exe that can be emailed or put on your web or ftp.

Nothing needs installing on the clients pc.

Running it initiates the VNC server connection back to your listening VNC client.

This gets around NAT and most firewalls by being an outgoing connection and gives you full control of the pc.

Encryption module is available if desired.

Thasaidon has it spot on but I usually find it easier to tell a client over the phone to "click this link" rather than "install a vnc server" and "reconfigure your firewall" :D
dilberts_left_nut

Postby Doc Nielsen » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:28 am

I also use UltravncSC for helping people.

Since i run my stuff at home, i set it to connect to docnielsen.dk,
so i tell people to go to docnielsen.dk/support download and run the program,
doubleclick the line, and i can watch and control their desktop.

Much easier than having to install something remotely and then connecting to it.

I highly recommend this util.
I work to better myself, for the sake of all mankind...
Everyone talks about changing the world, but no one talks about changing themselves.
Doc Nielsen

Postby Thasaidon » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:20 am

I've been fooling around with this prog too, and sofar I'm impressed.
The only drawback I see, is if your IP changes, you need to change the config file, and recompile the .exe again.

You could also download the client and support pc files here
<a href='http://freehost04.websamba.com/duckware/testsc/testsc.htm' target='_blank'>http://freehost04.websamba.com/duckware/testsc/testsc.htm</a>
The supporter pc needs to run the support.exe file
and the client pc needs to run the client.exe file.
The client only needs to input the ip/domain of the supporting pc
(no encryption this way though...)

I'm not sure the "supporting party" needs to forward port 5500 from their router to their pc, but I'm guessing they should.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby Slowpoke » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:38 pm

Thasaidon wrote: ...The only drawback I see, is if your IP changes, you need to change the config file, and recompile the .exe again.

While I haven't looked at this yet, from Doc's comment, you can set it to point to a FQDN instead of an IP. If that's true, just create a DynDNS (or whatever your favorite service is) account for it, and your all set!

...OK, I just went & looked - it looks like it needs an IP. But, if you have it already, try creating a custom compilation using a FQDN and see if it works. Worst that can happen is it doesn't work, but if it does... Bingo!
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:05 pm

Yup, your right... I didn't think of that...
a domain (via DynDNS for example) should do the trick :)
unless you are either on dial-up or you have a very dynamic IP.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby cae2100 » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:14 pm

Hello, I use a program called hamachi to connect the computers behind the freesco routers, if you use remote connect, you should be able to use this with little to no effort
cae2100

Postby effo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:22 pm

Thanks for all the input. I managed to connect to the machine using the 'plain' ssh command (from the prompt). However, I did not get it to work using PuTTY on my sidux box.

Dad started vnc server on the default port (5900) on his machine (local ip 192.168.1.10). I sat up a ssh tunnel, using local port 5910:
$ ssh -L 5910:192.168.1.10:5900 -p 22 root@dads.public.ip

Then I could start vncviewer using:
vncviewer -encodings "tight" localhost::5910

The encoding parameter is optional, but it resulted in a huge performance boost!

And of course, the ssh server is not running on port 22 :)
This is Linux country. On a silent night you can hear Windows reboot.
effo

Return to Other Discussions