Nagios For Freesco V 0.3.x

3rd Party Package Requesting

Postby seapirate » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:21 am

I need a package fro Nagios for FREESCO v 0.3.x (latest version).
Homepage:
<a href='http://www.nagios.org/' target='_blank'>Nagios</a>

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
seapirate

Postby jason.b.c » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:01 am

ah , that's just about like mister house....
jason.b.c

Postby dingetje » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:10 pm

I'll have a shot at it. I'd like to have this package again myself too. I used to play a bit with netsaint in the FREESCO 027 days.
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby dingetje » Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:24 pm

First update: things are looking good so far. I have nagios up and running on my development box, but just with the default config and no plugins or any services configured yet.

The requirements for running this package on FREESCO (if I'll ever manage to get that far) are at least p.erl 5.6.1 and Apache.
GreetZ

dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby seapirate » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:52 pm

How is this coming along?
seapirate

Postby dingetje » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:18 pm

:huh: :(

Sorry, things have come to a standstill lately where FREESCO development is concerned. I'll see if I can pick it up where I left it a few months ago...
GreetZ

dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby TalkingToes » Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:26 am

I'm using the Nagios v3 at work for ~50 devices, 200+ services. Would be nice to see it at home. Would not have it do the disk checking every 5 minutes though, it'd never spin down.

Nagios could check using the SNMP package for Freesco, if you wanted to go that route. I"m using the SNMP for Munin for checks, but the Disk Free graphs fail.

--Kinda annoying to get the HP 1300's "Out of Paper" email from the VP's personal printer though. Gotta change that... Nice to know it's been off for 32 minutes, and that's why he's calling me as nothing is coming out. check_printer
--Interesting that our Automated Dispatch System's web interface goes down at 11:53pm and back online ~25 minues later. Every night. an old version of SCO unix, but it's finally getting replaced around Christmas. check_http
--Our BlackBerry Enterprise Server runs ~1% load during the daytime. Typically has 50-70 messages waiting to be delivered. A MIB exists for it. check_blackberry
--One dept's main server hits 47% cpu usage (5 min average) for ~25 minutes at 3:10am-3:20am (why is the next quesiton!) There is no backup on it, so go figure.
--seeing the average ping time to our 6 remote offices. Flapping is common, a bad day will have 150-400ms ping times! check_ping (yes getting new MPLS circuits in 2 weeks, will have <2 ms ping times, 700 miles away and back!)

I'll appreciate a bare bones package for freesco, and pehaps the plugins I can run via SSH to the other boxes.

Thank you for your time!!

TalkingToes in Seattle, WA USA
5' 16" is easy math, so why do SO many miss it?
TalkingToes

Postby dingetje » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:17 pm

A quick update:

nagios isn't the problem, although I did have problems with the latest 3.0b7 version where the older 3.0a5 version seems to be working better, at least in a zipslack 3.9/FREESCO environment.

The problems are within the so called 'plugins' that perform the actual tests. I've found that these require quite some 'tweaking' to get them to run on FREESCO.

package setup is more or less done.

sending commands to nagios via the web interface doesn't seem to work, the nagios.cmd pipe line isn't working. This limits some of the functions in nagios.

I may release a package where not everything is working just yet.

What do you think?
GreetZ

dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Lightning » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:39 pm

I may release a package where not everything is working just yet.

What do you think?

For me at least whether a package is error free or has some bugs in it is not really relevant as long as the end user knows it up front. Thats my 2 cents.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Thasaidon » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:33 am

I agree with Lightning.

Every piece of software seems to have some sort of bug when released
(either known or unknown).
So I suggest you just release it with a note on the "not working parts".
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby seapirate » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:05 pm

The main need I have for this is basic bandwidth monitoring and being able to see how much bandwidth a particular device has used and during different time frames. Extras are nice but not needed to for me to use this.

I have a basic graph using stg at the moment, but would like to see this embedded in a web page.
seapirate

Return to 3rd Party Package Requesting