Ghostscript For Freesco 03x

3rd Party Package Requesting

Postby Spook » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:53 am

Hi all,

I would like to ask whether someone would like to compile and create a Ghostscript package for Freesco 03x

Sources and documentation can be found under the following link:
<a href='http://www.gnu.org/software/ghostscript/ghostscript.html' target='_blank'>GNU Ghostscript</a>
I need this package for printfile conversion from postscript to QPDL which is the printer language used by the Samsung CLP-300 printer.
Would be great if someone could give me a hand on this :-)

Thanks in advance

Spook

P.S.: My used Freesco version is 036 wit a 038 Kernel.
Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby TalkingToes » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:13 pm

I have a v7.07 version of Ghostscript from November 2003. It has one binary, and the rest are small scripts.

<a href='http://peanuts.dnsAlias.net/freesco/gs_7.07_talkingtoes.tgz' target='_blank'>http://peanuts.dnsAlias.net/freesco/gs_7.07_talkingtoes.tgz</a>

Use Midnight Commander, open the tgz and go to / mnt / router / packages / gs and copy the three subfolders to usr

I used to run a Ghostscript based webserver using i_n_e_t_d betwen the inbound requests, and the output of gs, all via port 8080. Worked well enough.

(silly forums dislike this word, remove the _ above.)

TalkingToes
Seattle, WA, USA
5' 16" is easy math, so why do SO many miss it?
TalkingToes

Postby Spook » Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:36 pm

First off all - thanks for providing the "package" / tgz-file.

Eventhough I know this is not the support section a few comments so that others who read this and want to use the package have an idea of what might happen.
I extracted the tgz-file within a seperate directory with "tar -zxvf gs_7.07_talkingtoes.tgz" and a directory substructure was created in the following way:
mnt/router/rc/rcuser/...
mnt/router/rc/uninst/...
mnt/router/packages/gs/b_i_n/...
mnt/router/packages/gs/man/...
mnt/router/packages/gs/share/ghostscript/7.07/lib/...
mnt/router/packages/gs/share/ghostscript/7.07/doc/...
mnt/router/packages/gs/share/ghostscript/7.07/examples/...
(omit the _ inside the b_i_n - the forum didn't like it without _)
I moved the - from my point of view - important/critical/necessary subdirs "b_i_n", "rc", "share" and "lib" from where they have been in the new created structure to a special directory /mnt/software/Ghostscript that is linked to /usr/share/ghostscript
I wanted to have it on a HDD and linked to a seperate dir in /usr/... almost like you recommended :-)
I updated the.../rc/rcuser/rc_gs startup file according to the new dir-structure and started/restarted ghostscript.
I understand that this is necessary to do a lot of linking of binaries and libraries to /b_i_n and /lib .
After that I tried to convert a first PDF file to postscript and got an error from the system reclaiming a library libpng.so.2
This library ws nowhere to find on the system :-(
After some searching in the web I saw a hint to link /lib/libpng.so.3 --> /lib/libpng.so.2
libpng.so.3 existed in /pkg/lib/ and was linked /lib/libpng.so.3 -> /pkg/lib/libpng.so.3
so I did the corresponding linking:
/lib/libpng.so.2 -> /pkg/lib/libpng.so.3

After that another error messge appeared:

Code: Select all
[root@Freesco] pdf2ps Brunnenanleitung.PDF Brunnenanleitung.ps
GNU Ghostscript 7.07: Can't find initialization file gs_init.ps.
[root@Freesco]

And here I'm stuck now. I found the file "gs_init.ps" in the /lib directory but have no idea what to do that GS recognizes the file.
Is there a real configuration file for GS somewhere ?

Any hint or idea would be pretty much welcome.

Thanks in advance

Spook

update:
I changed the directory structure to the one created by tar
/mnt/router/packages/gs/....
and now the problem with the "gs_init.ps" is solved. The path seemes to be hard coded somewhere :-(
Once again trying to convert pdf to postscript via pdf2ps the system reclaims
[root@Freesco] pdf2ps Brunnenanleitung.PDF Brunnenanleitung.ps
Error: /invalidfont in findfont
Operand stack:
   --dict:4/4(L)--   F0   18.24   --dict:5/5(L)--   --dict:5/5(L)--   Helvetica   Font   Helvetica   417407   Helvetica   --nostringval--   Courier   NimbusMonL-Regu   (NimbusMonL-Regu)   NimbusMonL-Regu   (NimbusMonL-Regu)   NimbusMonL-Regu
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   2   1   4   --nostringval--   %for_pos_int_continue   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   %array_continue   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   %loop_continue   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   6   9   %oparray_pop   7   9   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   10   10   %oparray_pop   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   5   -1   1   --nostringval--   %for_neg_int_continue   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1059/1123(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:73/200(L)--   --dict:73/200(L)--   --dict:97/127(ro)(G)--   --dict:229/230(ro)(G)--   --dict:19/24(L)--   --dict:4/6(L)--   --dict:23/31(L)--   --dict:17/17(ro)(G)--   --dict:1059/1123(ro)(G)--
Current allocation mode is local
Last OS error: 2
GNU Ghostscript 7.07: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1
[root@Freesco]

There is no font directory in the package.
Never the less a postcriptfile is created - but I can't see whether it's correct or not.
Any ideas what to do to avoid those error messages ?

2nd update:
----------------
In the meantime I found font files on the web and installed them.
At the moment the problem persists - how to create a "fontmap" file , so that GS knows what fonts are available ...
Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:12 pm

I was not going to do anything with this post, except when I start seeing 027 packages trying to be made to run on 03x machines. So I recompiled the ghostscript source to the proper directory structure and created a 03x package out of it.

I have not done ANY testing of this package.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby dingetje » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:58 am

I was not going to do anything with this post, except when I start seeing 027 packages trying to be made to run on 03x machines.

...to make your blood boil! ;) :lol:
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Spook » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks a lot Lightning - that makes it a lot easier.
By the way - it wasn't my intention to make your blood boil ;)

I installed the package right away and without any additional/extra configuration it is possible now to convert PDF-files to postscript via "pdf2ps" - but depending on the fonts that were inside the PDF-files. Included images have not been a problem at all.

The other way round it is also possible to convert PS-files to PDF-files via "ps2pdf" - again depending on the fonts included in the PS-files. Images again haven't been a problem.

So far I have figured out, that Type 1 fonts seem to be recognized by GS and are convertable without any problem.
What I think causes the problems are the True Type Fonts.

I keep on trying to find out how to include those fonts too.

Thanks so far to both of you Lightning and TalkingToes

Regards

Spook
Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:35 am

...to make your blood boil! wink.gif laugh.gif

Hehee

I did include the fonts part of the source which is a separate download in the package, however I neglected to do ANY research on where they were supposed to really go. So I put the fonts directory inside the usr / local / ghostscript / 7.0.7/ fonts directory. Which they may need to be moved somewhere else or pointed to with some type of configuration file or command line flag.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Lightning » Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:10 pm

After some research through the source I see that the fonts directory in the package is not quite right. You need to move the fonts directory from /usr / share / ghostscript / 7.0.7 / fonts to / usr / share /ghostscript / fonts

Or you can just install the new package as I have just made the changes and repackaged it.
I also am now using version 7.0.7 because after reading the notes on 7.0.7b they just removed files due to possible licensing issues on a few files.
pkg -i http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/packages/0.3.x/beta/ghostscript-7.0.7-lightning
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Spook » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:17 pm

You have been faster than me :) with your writings Lightning .

I also figured out via "gs -h" that the font directory had to be moved as you wrote.
I did so and it works.
The thing I'm struggeling with right now is to include more fonts - and I could neither find a configuration file where additional directories for fonts can be added.
I read something on the web that it's possible but no comment where :-(

So I'm still having problems with True Type Fonts and Fonts that are not included in the package ....
Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:41 pm

Try this BEFORE you run any command on the command line

GS_FONTPATH=/usr/share/ghostscript/font/

Then run your command. Because I did add the "other" and "std" fonts into the font directory. But I did not add the "other" fonts into the fontmap file. If this works then you can add the environment variable into your /etc/profile and then copy that file to /boot/etc to survive a reboot and it will be put into the system environment at each login.
If you are still missing a specific font you can edit the Fontmap file manually and add an "alias" for a special font and link it to a font that you want to use that does exist. For a more or "less" clear picture of what to do you can read the doc/font.txt located in the ghostscript directory.

But as you may or may not know, we have gotten WAY past package requesting here and further discussions about problems need to be posted in "Third party package support for 0.3.x"
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Dutchblack » Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:21 am

Lightning

It always amaze me how focus you are to get things done.
personaly I think this is also what inspire most of us.

thank you. To me you are a example
Dutchblack

Postby Spook » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:56 pm

I totally agree to what Dutchblack wrote.

To keep you informed:
With the new package released by Lightning also the conversion from PS to PDF for the example files with text worked fine.
Last time text files had problems and "only" images worked ok.
PDF to PS conversion also works fine for the sample files.
So it seems that the package now is doing everything that it's supposed to do.

Great job Lightning !
Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:35 am

I am glad to hear the new package works as it should and many thanks for the nice comments.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Requesting