Package For Logging Caller Id?

3rd Party Package Requesting

Postby bob selby » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:14 am

I run 038 as an ethernet router via a cable modem, but I have a modem plugged into the box with a dialup settup as a backup in case NTL dies (not unheard of).

The telephone line is actually with BT and provides "free" caller ID.

The modem supports caller ID ... is there a package that would allow me simply to log all incoming call numbers with date and time???

I found <a href='http://www.freesco.org/support-forum/index.php?showtopic=9989&hl=caller+id' target='_blank'>this</a> but it was for 032 and I do not need an answering machine - just the call logging.

TIA
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 pm

What you are asking should be possible with just some scripting code. Of course you need to be aware that the modem can only be used by one service at a time. This means that if you need to use the modem for dialing then the aller ID software would need to be disabled or it would have to be enabled in the dialing mode as well and used separately without direct modem control.

For a quick and dirty way of see it work on FREESCO try the following from a command line.

Code: Select all
minicom

This should connect with your modem if it is configured in FREESCO. If you have not configured the modem in the setup then you will need to provide the other parameters as well with minicom.

Next enter these commands to the modem
ATZ
AT#CID=1

You should get an "OK" after each command and the modem should start displaying caller ID information on the screen at each phone call you receive.
If you don't get an OK after the second command try one of the following commands instead.

AT%CCID=1
AT+VCID1
AT#CC1
AT*IC1

To stop the modem caller ID just use ~. (tilde dot enter). As I don't even have a hard line phone I am curious if the above works as advertised ?
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:39 am

Thanks, I'll give it a try and report back :-)
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby bob selby » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:10 am

That worked a treat ... :-)

But ... how can I redirect miniterm's output to a log file (or pipe) ??

I'd like to run it as a process, if possible.

[this now seems to be becoming a support question - so feel free to move it]
Bob
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:45 pm

The test for the theoretical output was all that I was after to design a package. I sent you a PM on this, but you can try this package out and see if it does what you are asking. There is a control panel add on to view the logged calls.
pkg -i http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/packages/0.4.x/beta/callid-0.2-lightning.pkg

After the package is installed run the following

rc_callid setup

After this the server should start and begin logging calls. At present there is no means to rotate the log file or mechanism to view the logs from the console. But the web control panel does have a "Callid-0.1" "view_log" button for ease of use.
So consider this package VERY beta as I have no way of testing it and there may need to be changes made to enhance it's usability.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby bob selby » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:14 am

Lightning, you are a marvel :-)
bob selby
Advanced Member

Postby Slowpoke » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:43 pm

You might want to take a look at this as well:

<a href='http://www.freesco.org/support-forum/index.php?showtopic=16824' target='_blank'>http://www.freesco.org/support-forum/index...showtopic=16824</a>

NCIDD - Network based Caller ID server

B)
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:00 pm

Hmmmm it looks like you should be converting this to a 04x package. B)
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Slowpoke » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Well, since Bob said he runs a 038 box, I suggested it...

However, yes, I should make a newer version... :P

I've now added NCIDD & ClamAV to my To-Do list, and bumped them up close to the top. :D
Slowpoke
Advanced Member

Return to 3rd Party Package Requesting