Mysql Version 4

3rd Party Package Requesting

Postby nickie » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:05 am

I need mysql version 4 to run application from my freesco v04 box machine. The one I install was MySQL 3.23.37.
Thanks
nickie

Postby djricky » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:01 pm

I manually install the mysql-4.1.7a-lightning for the 0.3.x freesco version in my 0.4.2 freesco box without any problems, but with a lot of effort.

With the addition of the recently release apache_1.3.37_dingetje.pkg package, I have running phpBB-3.0.4 without any problems.

I think that the mysql-4.1.7a-lightning for the 0.3.x freesco can be repackage for the 0.4.x versions...

Lightning, If this possible???

Thanks for all your help!!!!
djricky

Postby Lightning » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:16 pm

Yes it can be repackage and made to work for the 04x series. It just hasn't been done yet, but I will start working on it.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:17 am

I have created a beta package of the server because I have not even tried to install it on a test machine yet. But it should run and install without any problems. So if anyone wants to install it and let me know if there are any issues you can use
Code: Select all
pkg -i http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/packages/0.4.x/beta/mysql-4.1.7-lightning.pkg
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:33 pm

Hmm, I am not seeing it there Lightning.
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:58 pm

No and you won't actually see it there, but if you type the install line as shown above it will install. Even as beta I always do some testing of a package, but this one has had nothing tested so I am not listing it yet until I have some feedback on it.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:11 pm

Actually I cut and pasted the line exactly as it is shown. What happens is since my box can't find it on its preffered mirror, it then asks to search globally. And since this is a somewhat hidden package, it fails.

Is there a work-around to keep the box from going to the mirrors?

Hmm, nevermind, wget to the rescue. Downloading now and will install locally.

Ah, the older mysql package 'broke' something (several somethings actually) when I uninstalled it. Will have to go back and figure out what happened to 'setup', command prompt is weird, no more console lights, rc_control is not functioning, etc. LoL Wheeee.
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby CDFiXER » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:48 pm

Roughly, it installed and appears to work. I have several other problems with this box so I can't test any further. Thanks Lightning
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby djricky » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:03 am

Installed and working OK.

Only one thing:

I had installed your beta version over my 4.1.7 installed version, and after that I must to run this command, I don't know why, But with my manually installed version I must to do the same before:
sudo chown -R mysql /usr/local/mysql/*

Regards and thanks!!!!!
djricky

Postby djricky » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:17 am

Another thing:

Your packages comes with this LIB: libz.so.1.1.4 with 53484 bytes from Apr,13-2003

In my box I have this with 59226 bytes and from Jun,19-2005 ( I don't remember the packages that install this version...)

I keep the last one because I think it's newer. And I don't have any problems yet!

Is this correct?
Which version should I keep?

When installing packages that bring libraries different than the installed libraries, What is the policy that one should take about libraries?
Keep the most recently? (looking the date-time stamp)

Regards,
djricky

Postby CDFiXER » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:52 pm

Fresh install of 042, (o)verwrite the mess from last night. Here is what I am seeing when I restart mysql in the web control panel:

/pkg/rc/rc_mysql: ./bin/mysqld_safe: No such file or directory

mysqld_safe is not present anywhere I can see
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:56 pm

mysqld_safe is not present anywhere I can see

Inside the script it uses a "cd /usr/local/mysql/" then it uses a "./bin/mysqld_safe" command which is correct and it has always worked fine. What has to happen is that the script must run inside of the mysql directory structure, otherwise it can't find all of the supporting files.

I have also chmod'ed the mysql directory so that should not be a problem anymore and repackaged it.

As for the install problem, I am really not sure why the script acted that way on your system. Because using a direct link it should always look directly on that web site without even checking the mirrors or looking for it. Of course if that site fails then it is supposed to ask to look for it globally. Regardless the package is now released and posted on my site and should show up in the package listing if you force an update.

With regards to whether you should upgrade or change the existing library on a system or not. There is no clear cut answer and for the most part in the 03x series a new package just overwrote the previous libraries without anyone knowing. Now the system checks and asks, but I don't think that in most cases it is of any real importance other than knowledge of what a package has changed if suddenly there is a problem after a package installs and the systems ability to replace the original library if you chose to change it. Or if you choose to not use the new libraries and the package doesn't run correctly then you can reinstall the package and update the libraries it wants to. With regards to the date/time stamp, that unfortunately is not always correct. It is for the libraries in my own packages. But it is not always correct for other packagers library dates because depending on how they copied them the date can get updated and just mean the date it was copied.

Also just for information the 3.x and 4.x versions of mysql are capable of being installed at the same time as long as one of the packages is disabled. Because I used a different script name and a different directory name for each. The 3.x version uses everything as mySQL and the 4.x version uses mysql.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:35 pm

So far so good. Thanks Lightning.

As far as replace y/n on the libs, I left the libs that were bigger than the replacements in place and only replaced the ones that were the same size with thnewer dates.

Tested it on a small test db and ran a few commands on that, so far it works. Time for retreival is about the same.
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Return to 3rd Party Package Requesting