Desktop enviroment in Freesco ??

3rd Party Package Requesting

Postby Jeslan » Mon Dec 02, 2002 4:40 am

<font color='#000000'>It could be possible to create a package that could install a X11 server and a lightweight window manager ?? and even a add on package with a web browser ??

Greetings,

- Jeslan -</font>
Jeslan

Postby BigHomeNet2 » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:29 am

<font color='#000000'>Ya, but WHY?

BHNet</font>
It's 1am. Do you know where your packets are?<br><a href='http://www.4096k.net/BHNet' target='_blank'>Freesco Firewall for Paranoid People</a>
BigHomeNet2

Postby Jeslan » Mon Dec 02, 2002 10:28 am

<font color='#000000'>Well, It is quite simple, becausse I would like to use my router for view web pages or execute some X window program (like mldonkey or wine). I can't use all time the computer where I am now, and It's stupid to have other computer that can be used to browse webs or execute some programs, and use it only as router.

?Why don't use a full distro ?? well, because I still want the Freesco router, It is really full of advantages and It is really easy of use. If I install a full distro I have a lot of "crap" that I don't need, that only use hd space I need, and I have to install and configure all the things the Freesco have and use as router. A thing not easy for a linux newbie.

?Resuming, becausse I only need a X server to execute a web browser and a few more programs, why install a full distro....??

?But well, If the rest of people don't are interested in such thing, or think there is a stupid thing to do, well, then there is nothing I can do. Perhaps when I will be not so newbie I could try to do my own package or installation.

?Greetings,
?
? ? ? ?- Jeslan -</font>
Jeslan

Postby BigHomeNet2 » Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:25 pm

<font color='#000000'>Well, a few problems with running X-windows.  Freesco runs an old kernel with old libs. So it's not a matter of just making it a package. It's making it compile.  A lot of programs won't on a 2.0.3? kernal system. It's like running the latest version of Mozilla on Windows 3.1.

I have run X-windows on older systems.  Last week, I tried to start x-windows on a 486SXL33 witn 24MB of ram runing RH 6.2. It ran, but boy it was slow. Too slow to be used.

I also have a 386 with RH 5.2 (as close to Freesco kernel as RH gets).  It ca run X-windows OK, but it's still slow, and netscape is a dog. But it is a full install on a 500MB harddrive.

Guess what we are all trying to say is that it's going to be too much of a pain. Even if you get x-windows running (has to be a current version), the you would need to compile and make a package for wine and any other apps you need.  This becomes a royal pain real quick and is not worth it.  You think configuring a full distro to be Freesco like is hard? Just wait.

It's far quciker and easier to find an old 486 just for Freesco, and install a full distro on another system. On most installers, you can select exactly what you want installed.

BHNet

P.S. Have you looked at Knoppix?</font>
It's 1am. Do you know where your packets are?<br><a href='http://www.4096k.net/BHNet' target='_blank'>Freesco Firewall for Paranoid People</a>
BigHomeNet2

Postby Jeslan » Tue Dec 03, 2002 3:14 am

<font color='#000000'>Oh, well, I guess then It is too much complicated to think about it hehe. Ok :) Thanx for the answer :)

Yeah, It could be better if I could get a 486 to use as router, but It is not easy here, if I could I'd do that. I hope to have a bit of luck, perhaps I can find one, but I don't think so :(

About Knoppix, yeah, I tried it, It's incredible all it can do, and all It is in only one CD without use of any harddisk. It is really interesting, but the problem is If I use Knoppix when I need to use my computer then the other computer has no internet connection..... and I don't know how I can configure Knoppix to work as router. It seems not an easy thing for me.

Greetings, and thanx for all :)

- Jeslan -</font>
Jeslan

Postby RoCheater » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:31 pm

i could give you an answer at the question, running desktop enviroment onto freesco is possible and already maded... for you happyness it's the vncserver package. you install it and deactivate the line for security witch binds the vncserver onto localhost only.
If u find out how to run wine onto freesco it would be great!
RoCheater

Postby Lightning » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:27 pm

Just to sort of add something to this thread because I am doubtful that anyone would really ever be happy with an X11 server running on FREESCO, which could actually be done just by tinkering with the X apps included in Slackware 3.9 and a compatible video card. But as stated it would be a real resource hog and perform poorly at best with old aplications.
But a VERY nice option that does allow some browsing of web sites for information is the w3m text web browser thet is VERY powerful if you take the time to learn all of the special keys. Which I have the browser posted on my site and even used to make a post on this forum once when I was testing it.
<a href='http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/packages/0.3.x/' target='_blank'>http://lewys-spot.dyndns.org/packages/0.3.x/</a>
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby jason.b.c » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:23 pm

Lightning wrote: Just to sort of add something to this thread because I am doubtful that anyone would really ever be happy with an X11 server running on FREESCO,

Heck , I would..

My little computer for freesco has a 400 mhz celeron..

I'd just like to see someone try to port Twin to Freesco...
jason.b.c

Postby ziabice » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:53 am

Lightning wrote:Just to sort of add something to this thread because I am doubtful that anyone would really ever be happy with an X11 server running on FREESCO,

Hi,

I'm going to lend a P-II with XUBUNTU (XFCE is the desktop enviroment) to the primary school. The intention of the teacher is teacher the use of a wordprocessor and a spreadersheet.
I hope that Xubuntu will be the right choice! :D

So, about the matter of this post, I'm pride to say: the complete installation of Xubuntu is made by my son (9 year old). It isn't a young "Leonardo da VINCI" but simply It learnt linux using freesco :D :D :D

Freesco is a great project and I hope in the future it will keep his actual intention.
Bye
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Times'> «<i>Quelli che s'innamorano di pratica senza scienza son come il nocchiere, che entra in naviglio senza timone o bussola, che mai ha certezza dove si vada</i>.»</span></span>
ziabice

Postby jason.b.c » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:52 pm

You refer to your son as an "IT" ..?
jason.b.c

Postby dRB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:13 pm

;) crossing language barriers isn't always an easy task. It's helpful to keep that in mind.

- dRB
Please bear with me ... I seemed to have lost my marbles.
dRB
Junior Advanced Member

Postby ziabice » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:49 am

jason.b.c wrote:You refer to your son as an "IT" ..?

No. :)

I consider Freesco a good example of linux environment to push the newest generation in this direction.

At least that they have the idea of the basics concept between an opensource project and a "monopoly". :ph34r:

With Freesco we can talk about installation, mount&unmount device, permission (user and group), ip & networking, security, etc.. all this things just in a floppy!

It's a great stimulus. :D

I think that is correct that somebody push to improve new feature as other people pull to keep on Freesco reliable.

I wish to my son to become more than an "IT"! :) :rolleyes: :D
<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Times'> «<i>Quelli che s'innamorano di pratica senza scienza son come il nocchiere, che entra in naviglio senza timone o bussola, che mai ha certezza dove si vada</i>.»</span></span>
ziabice

Postby Lightning » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:56 pm

I think that is correct that somebody push to improve new feature as other people pull to keep on Freesco reliable.

This is VERY true, but as you might have guessed the final opinion on any feature is mine and I have no intention on changing the primary goal of the FREESCO project and v0.3.7 is a testiment to the fact.
FREESCO, the worlds best most versatile single floppy router.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to 3rd Party Package Requesting