Exim Not Delivering Mail From Outside Lan

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x 3rd Party Packages

Postby BomBtek » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:31 pm

I've got an Exim/POPa3d setup that has been running flawlessly for over a year now.

Now all the sudden I cannot recieve any email not originating from my own domain

example: email from user1@myfreesco to user2@myfreesco succeeds, but
email from my gmail account to my freesco fails.

Gmail kicks back not delivery failed messages and Exim logs show no rejects.

I've tried all the regular t-shooting, but no luck...

Any ideas? Also is there an eximon pkg or similar for freesco? I'd like to try running in verbose, but not sure if I can. Might help me in troubleshooting.

Thanks,

BT
"Initial Success Or Total Failure"
BomBtek

Postby Lightning » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:27 pm

Have you checked your IP address with an external port scanner, because it is not uncommon for an ISP to suddenly start blocking port 25
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby BomBtek » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:55 pm

I was thinking the same thing Lightning and actually just got off the phone with Embarq who assured me that they were not blocking 25 or any ports for that matter, but I did find the issue.

I installed a new DSL modem this weekend and I guess it defaulted back to blocking all traffic after I set it up, instead of fwding to freesco, so I resetup the modem and all is well. Maybe I didn't hit apply or something. who knows.

Have to fix a very bad thing though that I just noticed. For some reason typing in my domain www.bt.getmyip.com brings up my modems' web control panel instead of my website now.. Very odd.

Have to test it outside my LAN, but not very comforting.

My modem is set to only accept web cpl from LAN, but I don't really trust it.

I guess I can just bridge it instead of fiddling with it, but I figured the extra redundancy couldn't hurt. Maybe it is only going to make problems more complicated..

Thanks for the quick response.

I'm glad these things happen while I am home. I just got back from another tour in Iraq a few weeks ago and my wife would be hosed trying to figure all this out on her own....
BomBtek

Postby Lightning » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:47 am

I just got back from another tour in Iraq a few weeks ago

I do not express ANY political/religious views on this forum in any way and I respect everyone's point of view. But I admire anyone who devotes there life in the service of there country and it doesn't matter the country.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby BomBtek » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:53 pm

Thanks Lightning, I really appreciate it. Been at it for just over 12 years now, so I'm on the downhill stretch.

Still having an issue with the DSL modem though.

The mail works fine now after fixing my little fw rule oops.

It seems that it may be something I have setup wrong with the NAT setup in the modem.

My DYNDNS account links to my dynamic IP via my domain bt.getmyip.com when the address get resolved it goes to the LAN side web control panel which IP is 192.168.2.1, yet my freesco box sits on 2.2

I have the modem's NAT mode to SUA and all ports going to 2.2 which should not hit the webcpl correct?

I have not tried trying SUA to point to 1.1 as it seems since it is a LAN address, it would not be security friendly.

Or should I just bridge the stupid thing and be done with it?
BomBtek

Postby Lightning » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:03 am

Or should I just bridge the stupid thing and be done with it?

My only real advice is that sometimes the journey is more important than the destination and it might be worth while tinkering with it up to either a resolution or a frustration level. In either case I don't really believe there is that much difference security wise regardless of how the modem is configured.

With regards to your dyndns account, it is not clear to me whether you have the client setup on the modem or on FREESCO. Because FREESCO does have a remote IP capability that can be used for this type of configuration. Although there are disadvantages in doing it that way such as a time based IP check versus an immediate update if your external IP changes.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby BomBtek » Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:09 pm

Mydyndns account is setup on the fresco box. Maybe I don't understand NAT well enough because if I change it to anything other than the defaults I loose internet connectivity. My mail seems to be working OK now though. I may play with it a bit more, but I may just end up bridging it, if I can't figure it out. Unfortunatley my tinkering time is slim these days.

Thanks
BomBtek

Postby BomBtek » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:51 pm

Well, I think I pretty much have it all working the way I want it to and all without bridging the modem.

Not that I really understand most of it in depth, but that is my problem all around with my freesco box. It is usually so long between visits to "the closet" i forget most of what I used to know about all this advanced config stuff. I still did all this wothout bringing my freesco box down, which puts it at 1yr and 1 month since it's last reboot. Not bad at all. It would probably be longer, but the UPS on the circuit is only a 500va so long outages kill it quickly.

As for the actual problem. It appears that i had the modem setup correctly, but had it did not like a forward all rule for some reason, but adding additional rules for 25, 110 and 80 was what it wanted, which makes no sense, but it is the free modem they send out by the dozens.

Also I noticed that my dnydns account hadn't refreshed yet, so I did a manual update to make sure all the dns entries were good. A dns lookup for my domain still had about 35% of them i checked had my old IP address, which explains why my domain was getting some mail but not all.

Not that I invite problems, but if I go as long as I did this time, I am gonna forget most of this again!

Cheers
-BT
BomBtek

Return to 3rd Party Package Support for FREESCO v0.3.x