Fs Requesting Some Input

Forum dedicated to FREESCOsoft.com and its mirror sites.

Postby Howler » Thu May 28, 2009 7:16 am

Hello all,

Howler here, doing some brainstorming on a possible new idea I have for the FREESCOsoft site, but would like to get as much input from the FREESCO users around the world, to help with this (OK not a lot of work, make a post here).

Without going into the whole idea, I will leave that for another time, I would like to ask this ....

What would you consider to be the most single important national holiday in the country you live in ?

For me (and a few others) here in the United States, I would say it is July 4th , our Independece day.

In any replys to this thread, please include the holiday name, the date and the country please. Would appretiate no duplicate postings, unless to make a better suggestion.

Thanks and take care all :)
Howler
The first, the original and still the main FREESCOsoft site http://www.freescosoft.com/
The best place for FREESCO packages and related files.
Created and maintained by me (Howler), and mirrored by many (well, ok mirrored by some).
Howler
Advanced Member

Postby Thasaidon » Sun May 31, 2009 9:25 am

Well, I not sure about it being a national holiday, but our may 5th is sort of the same as your 4th of July.
Basically, on may 4th we have 2 min silence at 8pm to remember all our fallen soldiers and civilians in the wars and piece keeping missions. Then on may 5th, we celebrate our freedom. I know may 4th isn't a national holiday, but may 5th is (at least for me)

Then there is also Queensday on April 30th, but again I'm not sure if this is a national holiday, but it is for me. This is the day we Celebrate the birthday of our Queen.

As far as I know, that's it for national holidays.
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon's Freesco Page

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Postby auda » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:06 pm

Hmm tricky.
In New Zealand there is Waitangia Day on the 6 th Feburary that is to celibrate the signing of a treaty between the Maori (natives) and the white man but it has never realy been honered by either side and the government is paying millions of dollars in "compensation" to the Maori most people, privatley at least, dont like it so the holiday is nothing special. As it is on a set date we dont get a long weekend from it.

ANZAC day the 25 th of April to comemerate our dead at Gallipoli in the First World War and now all wars. The day is comming to be increasingly popular with young people and so in regaining prominance. It starts with a memorial service at dawn, about 5 am. followed by cups of tea at the local RSA (Returned Service-mens Association) club in smaller centers not sure about what happens in the cities. I think about 1.6% of our total population died in WW1, on the other side of the world. Also on a set date but that doesn't seem to be important.

Yesterday was Queens Birthday a nice day off in the middle of the year, in winter when the government honors people who have done good deeds. Not that important. It is the fist Monday in the month so it makes a long week end.

We have a day off to celebrate the 40 hour working week in October it is the third Monday in the month so another long weekend.

We have a provincial holiday which is I think always a Friday but the day depends where you live.

There is also Easter and Chrismas

Auda
auda

Re: Fs Requesting Some Input

Postby Marc » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi,

Queens-day would be a possible answer. (April 30)
It has to compete with Sinterklaas at the 5th of December but that's more for kids.
No one knows if the King soon to be, (Willem Alexander etc.) remains the tradition as he has the choice to move it to his birthday or do whatever he pleases with this nice little tradition of ours. So it could be any day now that the date changes with the crown to april 27, or not, whatever is in fashion at that moment.

I say go stick with April 27. :D

But hey, I like all that modern stuff.

Marc
Marc
pc1mh.nl.eu.org
Marc

Return to FREESCOsoft.com Specific Forum