[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - "smart" firewall

"smart" firewall

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby Boboga » Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:17 am

<font color='#000000'>Is it possible to create a sort of smart firewall that can detect if users want to send a file trough messenger and that the firewall then maps the port to the ip? 1863 i thought..</font>
<a href='http://www.boboga.nl' target='_blank'>Boboga</a>
Boboga

Postby VIP » Sun Nov 24, 2002 6:20 pm

<font color='#000000'>I think the problem is to recive filetransfers.
When u are sending a file (ore whatever) NAT automaticly routes the returning comunication.
If u want to recive files u have to open and forwards the port the program uses.
I for instance uses a lot of p2p programs DC FTP ICQ......
So i have a lot of ports open :(
My hope is that someone can pack a proxy server (socks5) so my programs can go trhough that intead (almost every program i have accepts proxys). :glare:</font>
VIP

Postby Dunc » Mon Nov 25, 2002 1:12 pm

<font color='#000000'>It's nothing to do with that, messenger uses an odd protocol to send file tramsfers, dont remember what it's called, but its not supported in ftreesco. As for ports, it uses a whole range of them, even if you has this protocol running you'd have to open up a HUGE hole in your firewall. There is a post somewhere about getting file transfers working in netmeeting though.</font>
Dunc

Postby VIP » Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:15 pm

<font color='#000000'>I now :(
i think u are refering to protocol H323.
Download able via freescosoft.
Yes open a portrange suks! :evil:</font>
VIP

Postby tecknojunky » Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:19 pm

<font color='#0000FF'>The problem is not having "smart firewall" but rather "smart Messenger".

VIP: It's the otherway around.  WHen behind a NAT firewall, you can recieve files but you can't send.  It seem illogical but it all relies on how the two parties negociates the transfer.  When initiating a transfer (like if I send a file to you and i'm not behind NAT), what happens is that it is YOUR client that gets my IP and will come and get the file i'm handing.  That's why it can be handled by NAT because it knows which clients wants to access that remote file.  If you try to send me a file, my client will get your router's IP (NAT consequence) and try to get it from the router.

In Netmeeting, it's the other way around.  You can send from behind a NAT router but cannot receive.  It all depends on how the negociation takes place.</font>
<b>TJ</b><br><br><i><b>freescosoft.ca</b> is <a href='http://www.freesco.org/support-forum/index.php?showtopic=16598' target='_blank'>up for grab</a>.</i>
tecknojunky
Advanced Member

Postby VIP » Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:51 am

<font color='#000000'>Ok
i think :)
Yes NAT takes care of 90% of what u need to do.
But problems that i have is:
a program tryes to recive a file from a specific host.
Ex sends a request on say tcp port 2000 to host
Waits for an answer on UDP 2001 from host
A lot of programs uses this method f?r file sharing/transfers
eg eDonkey DC ICQ.....
Or im a way out in the dark now?</font>
VIP

Return to FREESCO wish list