[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - USB Support

USB Support

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby h82sk8 » Wed Dec 04, 2002 6:31 am

h82sk8

Postby compbrain » Wed Dec 04, 2002 8:06 am

<a href='http://compbrain.net/' target='_blank'>Http://compbrain.net/</a><br>Webmaster and network admin extrodinair
compbrain

Postby Aeternus » Wed Dec 04, 2002 12:45 pm

[bush@whitehouse.gov] make war iraq<br>make: No target to make war. Stop.<br>[bush@whitehouse.gov] kill Saddam<br>usage: kill [-(sig-num)] (pid)...
Aeternus

Postby MeneM » Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:56 am

MeneM

Postby deoren » Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:26 pm

It's possible, but will require work. But don't let that stop you! I was told similar things when I first asked about making a bootable Freesco cd.

Keep pushing ahead and you can succeed!

More than likely you would have to have a larger media type: 1.6 MB floppy image, 2.88 MB floppy image, cd, ... as the floppy is severely limited in terms of space.

You could modify the base distro image to remove options you don't need though, which would free up some space.

Ex: take out lpd option, possibly even dialup options if you don't use those, etc. Slim it down some so you can get the necessary room.

If you had to, you could use two floppies, and just modify the startup scripts.

In short, a bit of work, but well worth the effort.

Good luck, any/all of you!

P.S.

I noticed Lightning made a post that they are contemplating 2.2.x series of kernels for future releases, so if you can wait for that, then you're set.
<span style='color:gray'><i>This is your life, are you who you want to be ...<br>This is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be when<br>the world was younger and you had everything to lose?<br> -:- Switchfoot (This is your life)<br></i></span><br><a href='http://www.whyaskwhy.org' target='_blank'>Website</a> <a href='http://blogs.whyaskwhy.org/deoren/' target='_blank'>Blog</a><br><br>Steps to create a GNU/Linux 2.4 ramdisk: <a href='http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=280750' target='_blank'>http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/sh...threadid=280750</a>
deoren

Postby NotQuiteSane » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:31 am

NotQuiteSane

Postby Lightning » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:18 pm

I have investigated over sized floppies for quite some time and I keep coming back to a stock 1.44. There are multiple reasons and not the least of which is how easy is it to use an oversized floppy in other systems. It actually requires adding extra software to make and or read these floppies which only tends to complicate the instalation proccess and make adding drivers more difficult. Personally I have made 1.72 and 1.68 floppies with FREESCO on them and I can say that the 1.68 is more compatible with a larger number of floppy drives. However I have also made 1.48Mb floppies which is in reality a better format because standard systems will read the disk without extra programming. You also can reduce the file descriptors in the root directory to gain even another 6K of disk space. But regardless it still comes back to needing extra software to create the floppy in the first place.

i have also looked at upgrading to a 2.2 or 2.4 kernel which could support USB and there is lots of various ways to impliment such a task with the new uClib and varous types of file systems that are intended to gain disk space. There has even been some work done on accomplishing such a task by one of the team members to the point of a running system at least. Of course what most are not compoletely aware of is that USB is very processor intensive and systems would definately need a lot more horsepower and recourses to run it.

The reality:
I have spent the last five years working on the current system and this type of a change would mean basically starting from scratch. Which at present I am still unwilling to take on such a task until I am satisfied with the 03x series and feel it can go no further.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby G-Man » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:07 am

<b><span style='color:blue'>I'd live life in the fast lane, but I am married to a speed bump.</span></b>
G-Man

Postby NotQuiteSane » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:35 pm

NotQuiteSane

Postby NotQuiteSane » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:12 am

NotQuiteSane

Postby RayDeN » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:30 am

RayDeN

Postby G-Man » Fri Nov 25, 2005 9:38 am

<b><span style='color:blue'>I'd live life in the fast lane, but I am married to a speed bump.</span></b>
G-Man

Postby Belmontemarin_as_guest » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:53 pm

Belmontemarin_as_guest

Postby Lightning » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:39 pm

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Thasaidon » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:13 am

Allthough Freesco does not support USB, you can use an USB keyboard,
provided the BIOS has a setting in which you can enable "usb keyboard support".

I have an USB keyboard hooked up to my USB kvm-switch.
One of the outgoing USB ports is connected to my Freesco pc's USB port,
and the BIOS (or motherboard) handles the USB input and somehow converts it.

But it works regardless...

However, USB support would be a great option for Freesco, but I too doubt if it will ever come to that (at least in the floppy version).
Experience shared, is experience gained.

Thasaidon
Advanced Member

Next

Return to FREESCO wish list