uPnP support

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby licho » Sat Mar 22, 2003 11:43 pm

Is there any plan to add uPnP suppport ? ( <a href='http://linux-igd.sourceforge.net/' target='_blank'>http://linux-igd.sourceforge.net/</a> )
It would be great, because it would fix all the problems related with messenger, and so.

Congratulations about your work!.
licho

Postby netguru » Sun Mar 23, 2003 9:14 pm

uPnP ? please refer to <a href='http://www.grc.com' target='_blank'>www.grc.com</a> for more info on uPnP
netguru

Postby licho » Mon Mar 24, 2003 1:42 pm

The problem with WINDOWS uPnP, is it's bad implementation. But uPnP is a very good "protocol" (to call it something).
I have read the page you mention before your post, and It says the same thing I'm saying.

Anyway, even when I don't trust in windows fixes, uPnP problems seem to be fixed on windows. But that's not the point.

I'm just saying, that it would be nice to have uPnP on Freesco, in order to have the ability to use videoconferencing on messenger, and other programs as well.

I'm searching for a small linux distro with compilator, in order to try to compile the uPnP gateway for myself. (it must have 2.2 or later kernel, in order to the gateway works).
licho

Postby Compugup » Fri May 02, 2003 8:05 pm

I'm now using freesco for more than one year, I browse these forums a lot, but this is the first time I respond.

I'm very happy with my Freesco 2.7 but the major thing what I'm missing is UPNP support.
I saw many threads on this topic proving that a lot of people would like to have this feature (also the number of views of this topic says something).

Having been a programmer myself I understand the opposition against a MS defacto standard again, often being attacked by remarks like Netguru quotes (which was actual somewhere in 2002, but solved afterwards) and certainly in this Linux world.

Let the users decide themselves if they want to take potential risks!

I've three kids who all have their own computer and use MSN messenger and direct-play based games a lot but can't use the voice or internet gameplay now because of the Freesco firewall.
Don't come up with portforwarding advises, I know them all, but I rather would take the risk of using UPNP in stead of opening half of my ports.

We all can stick to our principles, but UPNP based applications are real life and their quantity is increasing fast!

Before someone is going to say you need kernel 2.xxx for that and Freesco doesn't support that, I've seen both ipchains and iptables based implementations, would dynamic portforwarding be a solution or is that not possible with Freesco?

I don't know enough about Freesco itself to do it otherwise I would take the challenge of implementing it myself, who is taking up the glove?
Compugup

Return to FREESCO wish list