[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - Smaller Freesco based on uclibc...

Smaller Freesco based on uclibc...

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby Dreamer3 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:22 am

I've search the forum... I can't believe no one has mentioned the possiblity of a Freesco disk based on uclibc instead of libc5... It is pretty much a replacement for libc and most everything compiles against it these days... A complex Busybox (and I mean way more than the floppy already does with included utils [it had a small VI]) plus the uclibc library takes up significantly less space than all the little utils individually plus libc5... And I haven't even tried to pare it down for size yet...

I realize this would mean that everything on the floppy would need to be compiled against uclibc (so that libc5 could be removed). Has this not been brought up because it would be too much work or would be too difficult to maintain in the long run?

I imagine those of you maintaining and building Freesco are doing so from systems actually running the 2.0 kernel or at the very least the libc5 libraries (perhaps chrooted?) to simply compiling and buildling the software... correct me if I'm wrong...

Freeing up a lot of space via this approach is of great interest to me (just as a project to see what is possible)... if there is any interest out there in the Freesco community... besides the additional hassle in perhaps compiling and linking against uclibc and getting all the progs working the first time I think it could truly free up some space and perhaps hasten the move to kernel 2.2 or other useful enhancements to the floppy version... (I'd like to see a slicker web interface myself, even if still written in sh)

Let the discussion begin...

Josh

Edit: Of course, all add on packages would need to be installed against uclibc as well... or if there was room (ramdrive or HD) they could just check for the presence of libc5 and install it if it wasn't present... then those with a floppy could have tiny space usage and those with more space wouldn't have any extra hassle but to install libc5 and continue to use large packages linked against it
Dreamer3

Postby dingetje » Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:34 am

GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby Dreamer3 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:12 am

Dreamer3

Postby Dreamer3 » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:43 am

Dreamer3

Postby tecknojunky » Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:45 am

<b>TJ</b><br><br><i><b>freescosoft.ca</b> is <a href='http://www.freesco.org/support-forum/index.php?showtopic=16598' target='_blank'>up for grab</a>.</i>
tecknojunky
Advanced Member

Return to FREESCO wish list