[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - How about 1.68 or 1.72 MB floppies

How about 1.68 or 1.72 MB floppies

Remember this is a 1.44Mb floppy disk router, space is limited.

Postby not_registered » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:16 pm

Hello,
I have searched the forums and it seems that noone has ever tried to fit freesco into 1.68 or 1.72 MB floppy.
I think this could be a good idea for the following reasons:
[1] This would allow to add packages to floppy installation (with 32kb left on 1.44 MB you just can't tango - 250kb is on the other side a lot of space).
[2] The installation still would work on standard floppies and drives.

I have tied to do the task in the following way:
[A] I have made the iso image of my freesco floppy with winimage
[B] I have redefined the image as 1.68 MB one.
[C] I have altered fd0 to fd0u1680 in syslinux.cfg
[D] I have made the new 1.68 MB floppy.
The syslinux starts, however it fails to load the system.

I think it would be whole lot easier if freesco would come in 1.44 MB, 1.68 and 1.72 MB versions from the beginning

NOT_REGISTRED
not_registered

Postby netguru » Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:58 pm

A 1.68 MB floppy image WAS implemented by either FREESCO team member Simon or Cjr , I dont remember which, the issue it had was to do with the ramdisk, and the fact many floppy drives / disks will not work with the 1.68 format, but the good news is it IS possible so do a little more searching here AND <a href='http://www.freescosoft.com' target='_blank'>http://www.freescosoft.com</a> and see if you can find out more.

Good luck !

OOPs I forgot to make the FREESCOsoft link a link :blush1:
netguru

Postby Lightning » Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:13 am

I will insert a little information here and say that the FREESCO 03x series DOES support 1.68Mb floppies by default and there are a few post with the information on how to do it. But basicly if you just copy a FREESCO 1.44Mb floppy to a 1.68Mb from a DOS/Win machine and then run "syslinux a:" on the new floppy it will be bootable. Then the only thing to change is to edit the syslinux.cfg file and where it says's fd0 change it to fd0u1680. At this point it will boot and run. The issues with oversized floppies is always debatable. But some things to understand are that not all drives will support the format as well as it being quite a bit more difficult to create in a Windows envirement. But beyond that the limitation is that NONE of the bootable components of FREESCO can be placed on the drive past the 1.44Mb limit, becaise the bios only supports 1.44Mb regardless of what the floppy is formatted to.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Allen15 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:01 pm

Allen15

Postby Allen15 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:11 pm

Allen15

Return to FREESCO wish list