[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - Freesco Through Linksys Router

Freesco Through Linksys Router

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

Postby Fredwilson » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:38 pm

I've been trying to get this figured out for some time now.

I have a cable internet connection, plugged into the Internet port of my Linksys router and everything works fine.

I'd like to be able to swap the cable connection with the Freesco box and dial-up. I have FreeSCO set up with an external serial modem and it works fine with a switch, I just wanted to use it through the router?

If this is at all possible, can someone please help me get it set up?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fred. :D
Fredwilson

Postby Lightning » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:49 pm

I am not quite following what you want to do here because what I read you have

cable modem connected to linksys
and
FREESCO connected to an external serial modem.

Which these two types of connections are completely different. FREESCO can easily do any of these types of connections, but one at a time and all that is requyired to connect FREESCO to the cable modem is to install two network cards in it and connect the cable modem to "NETWORK0" and your internal network to "NETWORK1" and run through the standard "ethernet" setup mode. You then could use that external serial modem for dial in purposes.

But I may not be understanding things correctly so please explain what you want FREESCO to do and post a report.txt so were can give a detailed explanation on how to do it.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Fredwilson » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:39 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I was talking about using Freesco solely as a dial-up router, on a completely different LAN, in front of the Linksys hardware Firewall/Router. No cable involved. I want to route the output of eth0 to the Internet port of the Linksys router so I can use the dial-up connection on all machines both on the switch and router.

Is this possible or can you only hook FreeSCO up to a switch?

I don't have access to the FreeSCO machine at the moment, so I'll post the report a little later.
Fredwilson

Postby Lightning » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:15 pm

Ok, I understand.
You should be able to just plug the Linksys router directly into FREESCO's network interface. The one thing you will or should be sure of doing is to enable the DHCP server in FREESCO and assign an IP range for NETWORK0. This way you shouldn't have to change any settings on the Linksys router. You may or may not need to use a cross over cable between the two using a direct connection. You also should probably give that connection a different subnet than your standard internal subnet.

I will also mention that doing it this way is completely redundant as the Linksys is not required unless you are just using it as a four port switch on your network and you need all four ports. Otherwise you could just disable all of it's services and only use the ports for the connections and leave the external port open.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Fredwilson » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:47 pm

I changed the subnet and enabled the DHCP server, restarted the FREESCO box and router. I also added an old 10Mbps hub between the NIC and the Internet port instead of a crossover cable. When you open the web browser on a machine connected to the network, the modem dials and connects successfully, but no data is being transferred (the RD and SD lights on the modem are off.) The browser returns a 404. I know there is nothing wrong with the modem or NIC because I had this setup working on the same machine, except only with the switch.

Thanks again for your time.

Fred B)
Fredwilson

Postby Lightning » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:29 pm

Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x