[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - Cannot Fork - Server Unavailable

Cannot Fork - Server Unavailable

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

Postby Spook » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:54 pm

Hi,
the current version I have installed is v0.3.6 and the system has been up for more than 200 days without any problems.
From one moment to the other the box started to play melodies (tone sequences) and was not accessable anymore.
Even at the console it was not possible to do a ps or a vmstat and the message "cannot fork" appeared.
I hard resetted the box and aventually after 5 days the same problem.
This time, with some more patience, I could reboot the box from the console but again with messages "cannot fork" etc.

Has anyone an idea what could cause such problems after having had no problems for such a long time beforehand.
I read something about not enough memory could be the reason for "cannot fork" messages but in my case the box has about 500 MByte of RAM and the system is working as a webserver and ftp-server only - with little traffic and access rates.

Every hint is welcome.

Tia
Spook
Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:48 pm

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:45 am

The event that causes Freesco to play its musical notes will be (or can be) logged. Maybe turning on the Save Logs to Hdd option and then perusing the log after one of these events would help too.
Catapultam habeo.
Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Spook » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:35 am

@Lightning:
The two Ram disks that are not used for anything are a "burden of the past".
Will say - in the past I used the big RAM disk to copy files from HD to RAM disk to providing faster access to those files. Atleast I had hoped that the access would be faster. In reality I could not find much difference between loading them from RAM disk instead of from HD and so I did not copy them anymore to RAM disk.
Looks like I have forgotten to remove the RAM disks - I will eliminate them in the future.

With respect to the musical notes - I enabled them in the setup menue (17) but how can I make them play test wise to identify by memory which one it was that the system played?
Is there a possibility to play them one by one and thereby identify which sound belongs to which error?

@ cdfixer:
I enabled the "Save logs to HD" option too (16), so I hope to find a message in the logs once the problem occures again.

Nevertheless I would prefer to identify the problem before it appears again :-)

Thanks again

Spook
Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:46 pm

If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Spook » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:38 am

Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby CDFiXER » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:33 am

Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:37 pm

Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby Spook » Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:58 pm

Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:27 pm

Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:03 pm

I used to get similar messages, but they were somethnig about the client and DHCP NAK (and would repeat often as well). This was on @ 036 but that box was the DHCP server on the network. I guess since it was the server it maybe completly inrelated to this issue. Have not seen this since moving to 038 and bove, IIRC.
Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Lightning » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:25 pm

Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby CDFiXER » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Catapultam habeo.
immane mittam.
CDFiXER
Advanced Member

Postby Spook » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:27 am

@ Lightning:
Now as you mention it (with the FritzBox) I see what has changed in my setup.
I changed the old well working model FritzBox 2070 towards a new one FritzBox 3270 that has LAN and WLAN abilities.
There I configured, that a clients shall always receive the same IP - every client of course a different one from the other clients :-)
This option did not exist for the old model.

I have no idea why this should cause freesco box to the mentioned behaviour - but that was all I changed recently in the setup.

So, coming back to a possible solution - what I understood is that you recommend to disable the dhcp client on the freesco box and to work with a static IP - right.
So I will change the settings in the setup and then we'll see whether the problem occures again or not.

And the next project will be a migration to freesco 0.4.1 - whenever I find the time to do that.

Thanks again

Spook
Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Postby Spook » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:32 am

Spook
Junior Advanced Member

Next

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x