[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
FREESCO Support • View topic - How to set the time?

How to set the time?

Support section for FREESCO v0.3.x

How to set the time?

Postby PaulDSL » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:47 am

I've had FREESCO running as a private (i.e. non-internet connected) dial-in FTP server for a few years now and the system time has gradually drifted to the extent that it now about an hour out. How can I manually set the time so it's correct?

(Not too technical please as I'm still a Linux newbie really)

TIA

Paul
PaulDSL

Re: How to set the time?

Postby dingetje » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:33 pm

I assume you know how to login with root via either the console or a ssh session?

when you're at the command shell, type the following command:

date MMDDhhmm

where MMDD is Month, Day an hhmm is the time in 24hr format.
Example:

date 06152133

will set the clock to June,15th 9:33 PM

To check just type:

date

and the date and time will be printed.

Pretty weird eh, to set the time you need to use the date command :mrgreen: :lol:
HTH
GreetZ
http://dingetje.hopto.org

"Software is like sex: it's better when it's free." - LINUS TORVALDS
dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby dingetje » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:48 pm

Once the system time is correct, you can write it to the CMOS Real Time Clock with:

clock -w
GreetZ

dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby PaulDSL » Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:27 pm

Thanks dingetje. I was looking for hwclock that I'd read about on the net. Now a slightly trickier (and probably silly!) question...

The machine is connected to our Windows LAN via Samba. Is there any way it can automatically get the time from any of the machines on the network? Although the network is connected to the internet I don't want the FREESCO machine to have internet access so getting the time off the 'net is out.

Thanks for the help with 'clock' :wink:
PaulDSL

Postby Lightning » Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:05 pm

I don't think that Samba has any remote time keeping capabilities. So unless FREESCO can connect to the Internet then automatically setting the time is probably not possible without some very special scripting and or binaries to try and force it through Samba someway.
If you are afraid that you might make a mistake. The chances are high that you will never learn anything.
Lightning
FREESCO GOD !!

Postby PaulDSL » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:51 am

I thought that might be the case - thanks anyway for confirming it :)
PaulDSL

Postby dingetje » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:07 am

samba does have time sync capabilities, but from linux server -> windows clients, not the other way around.
A possible solution is to install an NTP server on one of the windows servers, i.e. http://www.timetools.co.uk/ntp-servers/ ... -s5000.htm and then use ntpdate on FREESCO to sync time with that server.
GreetZ

dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Postby PaulDSL » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:20 am

Thanks again! I'll have a read up on ntpdate - maybe I can add it to the end of my daily back up script to get the time... :D
PaulDSL

Postby dingetje » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:54 am

Once you have that NTP server up and running on one of the windoze servers, you can simply use setup on your FREESCO and enable the time server (at Timer Server address you'll have to enter the internal LAN IP address of the windoze NTP server). You can then use the synctime command in a cron job to keep your FREESCO time correct.
GreetZ

dingetje
FREESCO GURU !!

Return to FREESCO Support for v0.3.x